Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seven_mtj
Level 2

ISDEV : error 133: Could not open file

Hi,
I've run into a problem that has stumped me for the last 2 days. :confused:
I have an InstallScript projects which is failing to build only from the cmdline via IsCmdBld due to not being able to read log file.

The odd thing is the log file is created by InstallShield midway through the build at which point, log content is dumped to file, however at the end of build InstallShield reports the file is in use by another process (which should be InstallShield). The log file is locked from the time it was created until the failure is reported.

Feature: \Disk<1>
Component: Disk1 Files(1)
Component: Disk1 Files(2)
Component: Disk1 Files(3)
Component: Disk1 Files(4)
Feature: \DefaultFeature
Component: DefaultComponent
Component: misc
Component: package
ISDEV : error 133: Could not open file '\Media\SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE\Log Files\5-25-2010 02-34-57 PM.txt for reading "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Note following the error, the log "Log Files\5-25-2010 02-34-57 PM.txt" the remaining entries are written to the file.

Building from IS 2010 GUI works w/o issue.

The "package" component (contains dynamic file links). As a test I've tried removing this component and the IsCmdBld works at that point.

I have a completely separate project setup in much the same manner as this one and works just fine from the cmdline.

Thanks for any help!!
Mike
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A 133 error during InstallScript project builds indicates that one of the files included in the project could not be opened when attempting to add it to the built media.

What folder(s) does the dynamic file link for the 'package' component point to? The error seems to imply that this project is attempting to include the Media folder output from itself (which will introduce some issues during the build, as the files that are present at the time the dynamic link is processed may or may not be in use throughout the build process).
0 Kudos
seven_mtj
Level 2

Thanks for helping out here:)

The package component points to my build folder which contains only files & folders to be included in the installation, no dependency to the Media that I can tell. However I now have a suitable workaround; I recreated my project from scratch, making the text files statically linked and folders dynamic, now the Release builds perfectly via command line either via IsCmdBld.

I have no idea why the old component wasn't working for me, the project started out as InstallShield 12 which I converted to 2010.

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos