Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsfboao
Level 3

ISCmdBld command line

Hi,

The command line ISCmdBld.exe -p myprojectfile.ism -y "1.0.5" does
not overwrite the version "1.0.4" set from the IDE.
According to the documentation, the parameter -y enables you to
specify the product version from the command line.
What's wrong?

Thanx for your help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
TheTraveler
Level 8

Hello,

I just did a "IsCmdBld /?" in a windows dos prompt and here is the output.

InstallShield (R)
Release Builder
Copyright 1997-2006 Macrovision Europe Ltd.
and/or Macrovision Corporation.
All Rights Reserved.

---COMMAND LINE OPTIONS---

--REQUIRED--

-p project file name

--OPTIONAL--

-r name of the release
-b full path to the output folders and files
-s silent build
-i <.ini file path> full path to an .ini file
-u upgrade only
-x stop at first error
-w treat warnings as errors
-n don't compile setup.rul
-q2 WINDOWS INSTALLER PROJECTS: build tables and refresh files

PROFESSIONAL PROJECTS: rebuild only changes since the last build
-q3 only compile setup.rul

--WINDOWS INSTALLER PROJECTS--

-a name of the product configuration
-c

COMP = Files compressed into .msi file;

UNCOMP = Files remain uncompressed
-f
-e include Setup.exe in the build
-m name of the CUB file to use to validate the package
-k use specified skin
-q1 build tables only

For more information on command-line parameters, please see the Help Library.

As you can see, there is no "-y" switch. I wouldn't mind seeing a screen shot on where you saw this, because I actually had to write a command line function that goes in and modifies the product version in the *.ism file.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The -y parameter was added in InstallShield 2008 for changing the version number through ISCmdBld.exe. Only Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects support it. InstallScript projects do not.

If you are using an InstallScript project, you may want to use the automation interface to change the version number. The ISWiProject object includes a ProductVersion property that you can use to change the version number.

I hope that helps.
Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

Hello,

Thanks for the heads up on that. We are currently using IS12. We are going to upgrade to '08 when we are through one of our release cycles.

I'm glad I didn't waste my time making a command line executable that goes in and modifies the product version in the ISM project file. Since my executable modifies the ISM file, it works for Install Shield Script projects.

Since it was so simple to write, I would recommend that IS put it into the next version of IS. If you need details, please let me know. I'm willing to share.
0 Kudos
tsfboao
Level 3

Thanks for the quick reply.
I fully share the idea of submiting the -y parameter of ISCmdBld.exe for InstallScript of the next version. It's so simple instead of using the existing automation interface.
All of our builds are generated by batch files (.bat), so we make use of lot of command lines. The primary idea was to open the IS (I use IS 2008) IDE only once, set up the .ism file, and for next releases (major or minor), just run a batch file with appropriate parameters.

tsfboao
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

That is exactly what we are doing as well. May I make a suggestion. Create a Command Line executable that will modify the project that will update the product version. You see, you can do this easily since the ISM file is in XML format. Open it as an XML document and you can change anything you need.
0 Kudos
mcilis
Level 4

Hello,

Can someone show the usage of automation interface to change the version number in InstallScript projects.

How can we use the ISWiProject object in a batch file to change the ProductVersion property?

Could you provide a code example?

Thanks,
0 Kudos