cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidetnee
Level 5

IS2012 and Windows 8

Run into a problem today having upgraded my machine to Windows 8 Enterprise.

When i go to open file, i do not get the network drives that i have mapped listed as a location to open.

This means that it is unable to locate files to pull into the build.

Is this a known issue and will it be fixed?

This also appears to be the same in Spring as well as i just upgraded my project to try it out.

Is this an extension of the long standing bug whereby you had to manually navigate to a network drive in a file open dialog before IS would locate files even though the drive was perfectly accessible.

Regards,

/SiD
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

This is Microsoft behavior. For more information, see the following thread (which discusses run-time behavior; note that the same behavior applies to design time, too):
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=187553
0 Kudos
sidetnee
Level 5

Hi Debbie,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it is Microsoft behavior, the InstallShield application is not listing me drives on windows 8 that it did on Windows 7.

Regardless of any "behavior issues", it needs fixing.

Regards,

/SiD
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

This is not an InstallShield-specific problem. It is a problem with the way that Windows Vista and later handle mapped drives. Other programs can exhibit the same sort of behavior. Here's a Microsoft KB article that also explains the problem, as well as a workaround.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624
0 Kudos
sidetnee
Level 5

I can confirm that making the registry change described in the article allows me access to network drives.
Does not explain the difference in behavior between Windows 7 & 8!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

FYI: I just learned about an alternative solution. In an administrative Command Prompt window, run a command such as this:
net use x: \\server\share
(with appropriate values substituted)
This solution would need to be repeated for any mapped drive that you want to be able to access.

I can reproduce the behavior on my Windows 7 and 8 machines. If the registry key is set, if the above command is run, or if the network drive is mapped in both elevated and non-elevated contexts, accessing the mapped drive is not a problem. So, perhaps one of those scenarios was in place on your Windows 7 box.
0 Kudos