cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tier_3
Level 4

IS 2011 Catastropic Failure when installing a feature

I just purchased and upgraded to IS 2011 Pro from IS 2008 Pro and have converted my existing installscript project to 2011. I found that when I select a particular feature to install I will get a catastrophic failure error which makes it completely unusable.

I was able to replicate this by creating a new installscript project in IS 2011 Pro as follows.

Setup Design with:
Feature 1 – Component 1
Feature 2 – Component 1

Component 1 has dynamically linked files with sub folder enabled, include *.* .
There is one file in a directory which is three levels deep.

Install with custom setup type then select and install only “Feature 2”. Also see attached images.

I have attached the sample project with all the files included, extract it to C:\ .

Can someone please confirm this issue? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

I've been able to reproduce this behavior with a sample project here. We are currently investigating this issue and will post back here when more information is available.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

After further investigation, the issue appears to be caused by path/string handling during component transfer, only in the case where a component is associated with multiple features such as this case. It is possible to work around this behavior by including a file in the root folder of a component (this ensures the component is not just a directory placeholder, and avoids the path/string handling issue).

We hope to have a code based solution available for this soon.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Please try rebuilding and testing your project after applying the attached hotfix. To apply the hotfix:
1. Make a backup copy of C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2011\Redist\Language Independent\i386\ISP\ISSetup.dll.
2. Replace ISSetup.dll in the folder from step one using the attached file.
3. Rebuild and test your project.

Please let us know if this helps.
0 Kudos
tier_3
Level 4

Thanks for the hotfix.
I have applied it, the build and installation of the sample project was sucessful.

I have also tried it on our existing project with success.
0 Kudos
morgan
Level 4

joshstechnij wrote:
Please try rebuilding and testing your project after applying the attached hotfix. To apply the hotfix:
1. Make a backup copy of C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2011\Redist\Language Independent\i386\ISP\ISSetup.dll.
2. Replace ISSetup.dll in the folder from step one using the attached file.
3. Rebuild and test your project.

Please let us know if this helps.

I had this problem, and your hotfix fixed it. This was with IS 2011 Professional. Will you be releasing it to the rest of your customers as an update?

Thanks,

Morgan
0 Kudos
maforshaw
Level 5

The hotfix for this issue is the same file from a different issue (Q210954). However, the version stamp of the file from this thread is earlier (17.0.0.716).

Does version 17.0.0.717 from hotfix Q210954 resolve BOTH issues?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

We generally build hotfixes cumulatively, so yes, the fix for both should be in the later version of the .dll. I don't have any dates, but I do expect we'll see some sort of roll-up release of this and other fixes relatively soon.
0 Kudos