cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilOlea
Level 2

[INSTALLDIR] = C:\ and I need to add a foler and files to D:\ as well - HELP

So I have moved up from older versions and express versions to the more grown up, InstallShield 2012 Spring - Professional Edition and now I cannot find anything.

My [INSTALLDIR] is doing fine loading all kinds of stuff in the right location of C:\ but I also need folders created and files installed on D:\ and in previous versions it was easier than now, any help would be greatly appreciated. I browsed through this site first for nearly an hour to not repost a previously answered question and found nothing, so that means that everyone is smarter than I am :confused: or that no one is doing this :rolleyes:

This is a single hard drive that has been partitioned to have three separate drives C:\ + D:\ + E:\ if that makes a difference.

- Heck I cannot get my Dialogs to go away so that it does not ask for the customer info and such, I click on a Dialog and my software freezes, so I have a case opened for that (unless I am doing that wrong in this version as well)

Thanks for your help - smarter people than I
Phil
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

It's not clear which project type you are working with, but for MSI projects (Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI), you can add a folder in the Files and Folders view that is a placeholder for the root D:\. Then, you will need to either hard code the folder to start at D:\ (in the Property Manager) or use a set property custom action (sequenced before CostFinalize) to set the folder to D:\. In either case, you will need to set a property that has the same name as the folder/directory key for the new folder created in the Files and Folders view. This can be obtained by right-clicking the new folder, selecting properties, and noting the name in the Directory Identifier field.

After the above, subfolders and files can be added starting from the root placeholder folder.

As a caveat to this approach, using either the hard coded property or a set property custom action, if the path stored in the property does not exist on a target machine (in this case, D:\), a 1606 runtime error will occur when the installation is launching and the installation will subsequently fail. If the potential exists that D:\ does not exist or is not writable on all expected target machines, an alternative approach to installing files on separate drives should be considered, or a more robust custom action that sets the root placeholder folder property could be used.

Note that a quick way (for Basic MSI and pure InstallScript projects) to remove the CustomerInformation or other default dialogs, that does not require using the dialog editor, is to go to the Project Assistant | User Interface view, where the basic dialogs can be added or removed.
0 Kudos