cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_Duckworth
Level 5

IIS7 and Advanced Settings

I'm working with a Basic MSI package.
I need to update AspEnableParentPaths setting it to TRUE.
I've been doing this via a VB script with IIS6
I can set it via the InstallShield IDE, but it says IIS6 only. IIS7 Ignores this.
IIS7 has this setting, and it can be set via a VB script.

Why does Installshield say IIS7 ignores these advanced settings? I thought InstallShield 2010 supported IIS7?
What is the best way to update those settings?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Vijay__K
Level 7

Hi,
Is it not possiable to use the ISIISMetaData table in the direct editor?
Regards,
Vijay.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

At this time, InstallShield does not support custom/advanced properties when installing on a machine with IIS 7.x. We hope to provide this support in a future release of InstallShield.

It is possible to work around this limitation if a target machine has IIS 6 metabase compatibility installed by adding a property to the project named IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS with any value. Note that the install will fail on an IIS 7 machine with this property set if IIS 6 metabase compatibility is not installed.

One other approach to setting custom properties on IIS 7 would be to call appcmd.exe from a custom action (this executable is typically located in C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv).
0 Kudos
ericpaul
Level 6

If you follow Josh's suggestion, you might check yourself whether the IIS 6 metabase compatibility has been installed.
Once you know this for the appropriate platforms, you might use the mentioned property or not or do something else.

For detecting whether the IIS Metabase and IIS 6 Configuration Compatibility feature is set, there is a sample DLL with source code available in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Samples\WindowsInstaller\Detect IIS6 Compatibility
0 Kudos
Scott_Duckworth
Level 5

Thanks for this information and help.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The help has instructions on how to use that sample DLL and source code:
Determining If a Target System Has IIS 6 or Earlier or the IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility Feature
0 Kudos