cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neildupree
Level 3

I don't want an entry in add or remove programs section

The problem I have is I don't want an entry in add or remove programs section. After scanning through loads of posts etc, it would seem all I can find is - "You can hide your application's entry in the Add/Remove Programs panel by setting the Hide Add/Remove Panel Entry property in the Releases view to Yes" Unfortunately when I go into the releases wizard I don't ever see this option. This is whislt attempting to create a basic MSI with Installshield 2008.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
neildupree
Level 3

Found the answer at -

http://www.adventuresintechnology.net

Sometimes either when creating a bootstrapper style installation, or a nested install MSI you may find a need to hide a programs entry in the Add/Remove programs area of the MS Windows Control Panel. After doing some googe’ling and hunting around for the answer I found a simple solution hidden in the MSI tables called ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT. To accomplish this task all you need to do is the following:

1. Fire up Installshield and open your project

2. Click on the ‘Property Manager’ option from the tree view on the left.

3. Add an entry called ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT and set its initial value to one.

Build your project, and test it out.
0 Kudos
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

neildupree,

Can you tell me how to avoid maintenance? i am able to hide the ARP entry, at the same time I dont want maintenance also. can u sugest some code for that.........
0 Kudos
neildupree
Level 3

Do you mean modify/repair/remove?
0 Kudos
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

yes, as i told u, i am able to hide from ARP but when i try to install for the second time its going for maintenance. in my project i dont have any maintenance functions.

i tried to do the above task by deleting "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\" + UNINSTALLKEY;........ but i am unable to delete it.

can u send some code for No ARP entry and No maintenance.......Thanks for replay.......
0 Kudos
neildupree
Level 3

The Registry that I think you are looking for is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\XXXXX
XXXXX - is the unique identifier of the MSI. You can search for the Product Name if you need to.
However updating the product guid of the MSI will change the unique number and let you install again. This is under General Information - Product Properties - product code - generate guid.

Not quite sure what you are trying to do though.
0 Kudos
ITI_Randy
Level 6

If you desire no trace of an installation, you can remove some of the actions in the execute and advertise execute sequences, along with setting ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT = 1, leaving no trace of the installation.

See the following msdn article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367519(VS.85).aspx

While this will work, be careful, it can be somewhat dangerous, depending on what you are doing and how your product will move forward with updates.
0 Kudos