cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunil_ror
Level 4

How to start the installation from the same point after machine reboot

I am creating a setup through which I need to install SQL Server 2008 Express. To install SQL Server 2008 Express we first need to install DOTNET framework3.5 SP1 and WI 4.5, these both ask for the machine reboot after the installation. Th problem starts from here:- SQL Server 2008 Express checks for the pending reboot and if find the installation of SQL Server 2008 Express terminates. Now I want to restart the machine after the installation of DOTNET framework3.5 SP1 and WI 4.5 and then want to continue the setup from the same point.
This is a basic MSI Project in installshield
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

In general, the ForceReboot action and AFTERREBOOT property enable you to deal with rebooting in the middle of an installation; but if this is related to [thread=190561]this thread[/thread], you might see if another technique is more appropriate.
0 Kudos
sunil_ror
Level 4

Robert, Both the queries are in different context
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

How are you launching the other installations? As InstallShield prerequisites, or something else?
0 Kudos
sunil_ror
Level 4

All the setups (.NET Framework 3.5SP1, WI 4.5, SQL Server2008 Express) through installscript Custom Actions.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Launching an MSI from another MSI using a custom action tends to work poorly, for reasons related to rollback, privileges, and more. Depending on how you expect the overall package to be deployed, is it an option to use prerequisites instead?
0 Kudos