Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kamsani1002
Level 4

How to specify uninstall .msi file name in Basic MSI Project

Jump to solution

Hi Team,

I'm using VS2011 for my device driver development for basic installation/un-installation. I'm using Basic MSI project template with couple of custom action scripts which will be used/triggered during the installation and un-installation.

During the installation of the driver (Using Setup.exe), first it's extracting the components and installing the driver using product_name.msi file, and the installation of .msi file is constant irrespective number installations performed on the same binary.

Whereas, for un-installation (Un-installation triggered from Installed Apps/Programs and features), the un-installation .msi package name is random name. And it's not consistent. For each iteration of un-installation of the driver, the name of the .msi file is different.

Could you please let me know, how can I maintain a constant file name for un-installation .msi for every iteration like installation .msi file(Product_name.msi).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

When an MSI product is installed, Windows will store a stripped version of the original .msi file in the Windows Installer cache ( %windir%\installer\ )
It is this file that will be used to uninstall via Apps/Programs and features.

It is Windows that gives the .msi its unique randomly generated name. This name is also stored in the registry and is used by the Windows Installer engine to cross reference and find the correct MSI when it needs to do so.

As far as I'm aware, this is a private cache maintained by the Windows Installer service and its not possible to change the names, nor is it wise to touch or adapt these values.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(1) Reply
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

When an MSI product is installed, Windows will store a stripped version of the original .msi file in the Windows Installer cache ( %windir%\installer\ )
It is this file that will be used to uninstall via Apps/Programs and features.

It is Windows that gives the .msi its unique randomly generated name. This name is also stored in the registry and is used by the Windows Installer engine to cross reference and find the correct MSI when it needs to do so.

As far as I'm aware, this is a private cache maintained by the Windows Installer service and its not possible to change the names, nor is it wise to touch or adapt these values.

0 Kudos