cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barvaz
Level 6

How to run my project in silent mode

Hi,

I have an MSI installation file ready - Which includes Dialogs and install script.
I am looking for a document or other information that could explain how can i run the setup in silent mode.

Here are more details:

1. Wizard mode:
- My dialogs have control events which activate installscript functions, property settings and other custom actions.
- Those are triggered by the user, e.g. when clicking on 'Next'.

2. Silent Mode:
- The EXECUTE sequence is executed, so the UI-control-events are never called.

So, my questions are:
1. How do I ensure that all the settings, custom actions and others are executed also in Silent mode?
2. How can I avoid the duplication of taking all the definitions which are executed during UI installation and placing then in the EXECUTE sequence?
It is unacceptable to maintain such Setup - imagine that every change in UI control event requires a corresponding change in the Execute sequence!

There must be a smarter way (e.g. like in InstallScript, where response files delivered the solution).

Please advise.
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

A short version: only public (ALL-CAPS) property values will be preserved between the User Interface and Execute sequences, and only actions in the Execute sequence will be performed during a silent installation.

In any case, Windows Installer (Basic MSI) installers do not automatically read response files for a silent installation, or perform UI actions during execution, but instead use properties set at the command line or by a response transform.
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

I agree - from what I gather from working with MSI installers is - it does not like a whole lot of customization, it prefers you install it and the software that is installed should handle all the customization.

But - it's not as bad as you think. From what you are saying you already have all the Custom Actions being kicked off on each Dialogs Next Event, you would have to basically add each of those CA's in the execute. And your not actually duplicating efforts because you would be calling the same function. Just have it Execute Once. Little bit more to it with conditions and stuff...
0 Kudos