cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sks2004
Level 4

How to require Admin within Programs and Features

I've noticed that some items within Vista Programs And Features (ARP) have the icons at the top of the dialog shielded for Uninstall, Change, and/or Repair... meaning the specific task requires Admin elevation.

Our apps are manifested to run as Admin, and our Setup.exe is also manifested to run as Admin. I would like (need) to require the Vista Programs and Features (ARP) to require the "Change" function to run as Admin (the icon should also contain a Vista shield). Any ideas how to do this?

Please see attached screenshot, to see the shield that I am describing. Notice the shield within the "Uninstall" item.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If this is from a Basic MSI project, I'm not aware of a way to require this. For InstallScript and InstallScript MSI I believe it is influenced by the manifest of the uninstall setup.exe, which should be manifested identically to the main install setup.exe.
0 Kudos
sks2004
Level 4

Basic Msi.

Maybe there exists an msi api to do so?
0 Kudos
soubra_s
Level 2

Hi,

Does anyone know of any progress on this issue?

We're finding this problem to be quite frustrating as we need to enable the UAC shield on the Change button to ensure that the Remove option of the Maintenance dialog can be successful for a normal user.

The Community Content section of the following article talks how you might go about it, but I'm not sure how this can be performed from within InstallShield:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368032(VS.85).aspx

The following forum post also discusses the problem, but without a real resolution:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2879650&SiteID=1

So, if anyone has any advice at all, it would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam
0 Kudos
s_richardson
Level 3

did you resolve this - we are having the exact same problem and cannot find the resolution. Basic MSI project.
0 Kudos