cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jduan01
Level 3

How to remove self-register error on windows Vista

My installation has Access 97 runtime on it which does not come out with windows Vista. When the installation runs always complain self-register failed on oleaut32.dll and stdole2.tlb.
The following files did not self-register or unregister:
1. c:\windows\system32\oleaut32.dll Access denied.
2. c:\windows\system32\stdole.tlb Access denied.

I also have new merge module holder object 1 in the installation which will give me
The following files did not self-register or unregister:
1. c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO350.dll. Error accessing the ole registry
1. c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\DAO2535.tlb. Error accessing the ole registry

I also get MSmxl4.dll self-register error like oleaut32.dll has.

Even though the application runs OK. The error messsages are confusing and we definitely need to get rid of them.

It seems known issue for installshield and there is a work order IOC-000059825 (dated July 2006). Is this fixed?

Please help.

JD.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
alphacz
Level 5

Are you running the installation requiring administrative privileges? I seem to remember getting access denied errors when a particular user did not have rights to a certain directory...

-Chris
0 Kudos
jduan01
Level 3

The installation is run as system administrator. The problem is, on Vista, even I changed security setting of windows\system32 to allow administrator full access, the above error message still appear.

There are many old applications needs to be supported on Vista, so old runtime libraries/objects have to be deployed by installation (Installshield 2008 ). I am sure there are many people who had similar problems. Please help.

Installshild should have answers for us.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
nikhilgupta
Level 5

I am facing the same problem. My Installshield 7 version of setup works fine but setup done with installshield 2008 shows self register errors in vista.
btw any solution to this problem was found?
0 Kudos
bthibault76
Level 2

Hi all!

I'm sad to see there's no answer to this thread since i have exactly the same problem, with installshield 2008. Any answer?!

Thanks

Ben
0 Kudos
vvatclor
Level 3

I had the same problem, What I did was I set self register to NO and called regsvr32 dll to register dao350.dll. for other stuff that updates windows\system32, I removed those in my component list since by default they're already installed on Vista OS.
0 Kudos
Dynanmo
Level 2

Is there any way to override this message even though some of the dependencies are missing????:(
0 Kudos
BernardC
Level 4

Hi everyone,

I assume your installation is an Installscript project ?

I know its not easy (and usually impossible) to migrate your installer to MSI project , but in this case for COM components, there is a "COM extract at Build" (and no more when launching your installation set up).
This means, at installation runtime,it not a requirement to have all dependencies available for registration (dependencies are required only when building your installation setup) .

Bernard.
0 Kudos
MGarrett
Level 6

See the thread at
http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=168541&highlight=oleaut32.dll
for more suggestions and discussion of this issue.
0 Kudos