cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MAXIMIZE
Level 3

How to register COM components as 32bit architecture in the 64bit Windows system?

Hi everyone!

Please tell me how to set the Installshield project settings to register COM components running on the 32bit (SysWow64)?

I am developing several COM components for the Microsoft Office application.
As you know, many of Microsoft Office application are running on the 32 bit architecture.
When I'm installing the install package including the COM components with Installsheld default settings (Registration Type : .tlb - Extract COM information, .dll -None) on the Windows 7 64 bit., I can't invoke it from MS-WORD VBA.
Writing the registry entries (Wow6432Node) by hand is needed?

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Typically all that should be required is ensuring you have extracted or otherwise populated either the Registry or the various COM tables (as exposed in the Advanced Settings nodes of the components) on a 32-bit component (that is, a component whose 64-bit Component setting is No). If you need this in both areas, you should use a component for each, and quite possibly you will need a separate implementation DLL for each. How much of that do you have already?
0 Kudos
MAXIMIZE
Level 3

Dear MichaelU,

Thank you very much for your advice! Building the install package using type libraries exported for 32bit platform and install it, VBA applications can recognize them.
0 Kudos
MAXIMIZE
Level 3

Dear MichaelU,
Thank you very much for your kind. But creating (activating) these objects registered by the installer was failed in VBA environment on 32bit platform.
I continue to inspect this.
0 Kudos