cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jinho292
Level 3

How to perform checking prerequisite manually?

Prerequisites are always performed firstly, at the beginning of installation. Is it possible to perform checking prerequisites manually, after user chose setup type for example. Or are there any InstallShield's built-in functions to do this manually. I've searched in help document but haven't found any. Of course I can write functions to check, but I want to display dialog similar with InstallShield's prerequisite dialog which allows user download and install prerequisite application.
I appreciate any ideas.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

InstallShield 2008 does not include any built-in support to do what you want to do.

InstallShield 2009 lets you associate prerequisites with features in Basic MSI projects. Feature prerequisites are installed after an end user has chosen which features to install; like merge modules, a feature prerequisite is installed only if one or more of the features that contain it are installed. If upgrading to InstallShield 2009 is an option for you, you might want to download the evalulation version and give it a try.

Here are a few help topics that describe some of the functionality:
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

DebbieL wrote:
InstallShield 2008 does not include any built-in support to do what you want to do.

InstallShield 2009 lets you associate prerequisites with features in Basic MSI projects. Feature prerequisites are installed after an end user has chosen which features to install; like merge modules, a feature prerequisite is installed only if one or more of the features that contain it are installed. If upgrading to InstallShield 2009 is an option for you, you might want to download the evalulation version and give it a try.

Here are a few help topics that describe some of the functionality:

Another option for you would(in IS 2008 or earlier) be to download/create a MM(merge Module) of pre-req that you are trying to install and associate that MM with a feature within your Main installer.

HTH
0 Kudos
jinho292
Level 3

Thank you for your replies. I'm trying another option: create another project (do nothing, just check prerequisite), then call this app in my script. However, I met another trouble, the extracting dialog appears when this app is called. Is it possible to hide this dialog.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

What kind of a project is it? (Basic MSI, InstallScript, InstallScript MSI)?

How are you calling it from your main installation?

Are you using a Setup.exe file, or just an .msi file?
0 Kudos
jinho292
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:

Project type's InstallScript MSI. I use Setup.exe file and call it by function LaunchAppAndWait.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Perhaps try including /hide_progress when you call Setup.exe from LaunchAppAndWait.
0 Kudos
jinho292
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
Perhaps try including /hide_progress when you call Setup.exe from LaunchAppAndWait.

Thanks a lot. It works fine.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

DebbieL wrote:

Hi Debbie,

What does "/hide_progress" do and how is it different from SW_HIDE parameters that LaunchAppAndWait takes?

BTW: where do you specify /hide_progress?

:-))
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

/hide_progress is a Setup.exe command-line parameter. It's described on the following page (near the bottom, in the Miscellaneous section):
http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield15helplib/IHelpSetup_EXECmdLine.htm
0 Kudos
fishout
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:

I was use InstallScript to setup.exe,How to Hide a Dialog when Pre Requisite is Installed ?
0 Kudos