cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VladimirNikolov
Level 3

How to pass .Net Installer Class Arguments ?

In LimitedEdition 2013
Select output file -> Properties -> COM& .Net Settings Tab -> Check Installer Class check box.
This is a good start, but it does not allow me to provide the actual arguments (for Commit, Rollback, Install, Uninstall)

The same feature in Pro & Premier editions is nicely supported from the Component Properties

Am i missing something or this feature is not supported? Are there any plans to support it in the limited edition.

We want to switch our development to Visual Studio 2013. We have multiple existing setup vdproj that should be converted. And now we are exploring the IS vs Wix options. Our installers are passing argiments to the installer classes, so this feature is a must for us.
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jcoone
Level 6

if this is for a windows service, Instead of checking that Installer Class checkbox you can configure the service under the "Configure the Target System-> Services" section.

It is still not quite as full featured as the full InstallShield paid versions are but it has most of the configurability.
0 Kudos
VladimirNikolov
Level 3

No, it's not for a service.
Install Shield Limited Edition should provide ALL the features supported by the old vdproj. If not, existing setup projects cannot be ported to Install Shield LE. Which automatically does not give us an option but to go with Wix instead.
Purchasing an InstalShield version cannot be justified because of missing equivalent functionality.
0 Kudos
jcoone
Level 6

are you more referring to running an executable after the install completes and passing it a set of parameters? that would be done through a custom action, not necessarily anything to do with the installer classes for a .net component.
0 Kudos
VladimirNikolov
Level 3

Nope, I’m not talking about calling an executable(script) and passing it start parameters.
I’m refereeing to calling a .net installer class, implemented in one of assemblies (dlls or exe) and passing.Net Installer Class Arguments to it -> called CustomActionData in the vdproj world.
0 Kudos