cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
payaldesai
Level 3

How to make Application launch as Standard User on VISTA?

Hi,
We are using IS 2008 premier installer to build .msi for client's installer.
App gets installed fine on Windows XP and VISTA (UAC enabled/disabled).

we are able to launch application through desktop shortcut through right click -> select "Run as admin" option. However, if standard user tries to launch application, admin login and password is prompt to user on VISTA when UAC is enabled.

If the installer settings are as follows:
Required Execution Level: asInvoker
Administrator Priviledges Required: Yes

1) How can I make standard user access/launch our application through double click or same as administrator accesses the same??

2) To launch an application through double click, embedding manifest in VS2005 works great wheres requiredExecutionLevel is set to requireAdministrator. However, build server generates the executables through command lines so if I use mt.exe to embed manifest in app.exe, R6034 error is seen at runtime when I double click on shortcut.

CAn anyone help me on any of these issues?

Regards,
Payal
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
asmk20
Level 3

If requiredExecutionLevel is set to requireAdministrator in embedded manifest, then the standard user cannot launch the application without password.
the requiredExecutionLevel must be set to highestAvailable for use by standard user.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The R6034 is probably due to overwriting the exe's manifest with one that lacks clauses required to locate SxS installs of the CRT. Please try extracting the manifest the exe is built with and then adding the requiredExecutionLevel information to it, rather than overwriting the manifest completely.
0 Kudos
payaldesai
Level 3

Thanks Michael for your reply.

The requirement is after an application gets installed by admin, it should get launched without any admin rights. For example, standard user or administrator is able to launch adobe acrobat through double click on desktop icon.
Even if I give asInvoker / highestAvailable to manifest which I am embedding into launch app.exe, it does not work 😞 As an admin, it would prompt for permission but as a standard user again it is asking for admin login!!!

Can you / anyone else here help me to resolve this issue please?

would like to mention that launch app.exe is just user level app and runs in session 1 under VISTA.
0 Kudos
asmk20
Level 3

payaldesai wrote:

Even if I give asInvoker / highestAvailable to manifest which I am embedding into launch app.exe, it does not work 😞 As an admin, it would prompt for permission but as a standard user again it is asking for admin login!!!

Hi Payal,
If you set it as asInvoker for the LauchApp.exe , then the exe should not show a "Vista shield icon" in the exe icon. Any exe without the shield icon must not prompt a standard user for admin prompt. If you see the shield icon even when the exe is set to asInvoker then it means the manifest is not embedded in the EXE.

hope this helps.
Manju
0 Kudos
payaldesai
Level 3

Hi Manju,
Thanks for your reply and yes you are right. If i give asInvoker execution level to my launch.exe through manifest, it will not show shield icon and both administrator / standard user will be able to launch it by double click.

My existing problem is after installation is done, when first time I double click on shortcut to launch this exe, it gives the message saying "Stops working"

If i right click and select Run as Admin button and do product registration (this involves user account setup with client server and register two system services), everything works fine. After registration process is over, everytime I get success to launch app directly by double click on desktop icon. No Run as admin is required at all. I am giving "asInvoker" option only to the .exe which is doing this registration process work.

Any idea?
Best Regards,
Payal
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

payaldesai, I have to say that your mistake is in the way you designed the product. You need to carefully read this document: "Windows Vista Application Development Requirements for User Account Control Compatibility" You can download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=BA73B169-A648-49AF-BC5E-A2EEBB74C16B&displaylang=en
You should avoid any configurations of the product during it's first run.

Regards, Peter.
0 Kudos