cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shontu
Level 4

How to load 64 Bit DLL using InstallScript API in InstallShield 2009.

Hi,

I am Using InstallShield 2009 - Premier Edition.

I am creating an installer package for 64 Bit Enviroment and for this I want to use 64 Bit DLL's and its exported functions in my InstallScript project. I try to use "UseDLL" function but it get fails for 64 Bit DLL (it is working fine for 32 bit DLL's).

I just want to know is there any API (such as UseDLL) or any other method through which i can call 64 bit DLL functions in my installScript projects.

I tried using a 64 bit executable which i use with LaunchAppAndWait, which in turns loads and runs functions from my 64-bit DLL. But this is less flexible as i need the return value from DLL function and other values too which i need to use further down in my installscript project. For this i need to write return values and other stuff to one common .ini or xml file and read these value from installScript project. I need a better way than this solution.

Waiting for prompt reply.

Regards,
Umesh Bansal.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

A 32-bit application cannot load a 64-bit DLL, so there is only one final class of methods you haven't already hit. In addition to the exit codes, and shared data stores (files, registry, etc.), there's out of process COM servers. It should theoretically be possible for a 32-bit application to load and communicate with a 64-bit outproc COM server. However in the context of an installation, it can be a deal stopper to have to deal with its registration and unregistration, so it's hard to really recommend this.
0 Kudos
shontu
Level 4

Thanks Michael for your propmt reply.
Can You ellaborate a little further on this line

"so there is only one final class of methods you haven't already hit"
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The final approach was the out of process COM server. It has a lot of downsides as well.
0 Kudos