cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hnichole
Level 3

How to install 32 and 64 bit drivers from the same MSI

I have a basic MSI installation package that installs a service, application and a network filter driver on Vista exclusively. For 64 bit systems, we need to install a 64 bit filter driver. For either, the filter driver consists of a sys and an inf file. The DIFx2.01 mechanism has worked dependably for the 32 bit. My problem is that you can not have different architecture identifiers for the same package.

I considered putting each driver set in their own merge modules, but InstallShield crashes anytime I set Device Driver machine architecture to "Device driver targets x64 bit machines".

Any suggestions would be vastly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
alegerlotz
Level 7

So..... Anybody have any information?

I'm trying to do the something similar and running into the same issue.

I have one project that I'm trying to use to generate x86 and x64 kits. Every other aspect works fine, but I'm finding that if I switch the settings on my x86 component, the x64 equivalent driver switches to the other platform.

Its would really be lousy to have to go back to having separate x86 and x64 projects after I sold my client on the fact that they can reduce all that redundancy they have by making one project. 😞

In looking at some other things on line, it seems as if the key is that the Binary table contains either the 32 bit Difxapp.dll and Difxappa.dll or the 64 bit version. I suppose that if push comes to shove I can have my automated build process edit the .ism file (saved in xml format) to change the Difxapp.dll that is included.
0 Kudos