cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve_luke
Level 2

How to generate a 64bit installer

I am on Windows 7, 64 bit Pro. I have Visual Studio 2013, and InstallShield Limited Edition 2013. I have a VB application that I need to install and register for COM interop. The problem I am having is the output of the InstallShield is always 32 bit and I don't see an option to change that. Here is what I have done (key parts only:

The Release type in Configuration Manager is set to 64 bit, and the VB app is also set to build to 64 bit. Note the same behavior is seen if I use 'Any CPU'.

I add the results of the VB project as the Application Files and if I resolve the output I get the path to the 64 bit files. So this looks correct.

If I look at the hardware requirements, I am not being specific here because I can't find any option which looks correct (CPU options are 486 or Pentium).

When I build the installer and run it, the files get installed into C:\Program Files (x86)\ and registry entries get added to the WOW6432Node of the registry (the 32 bit portion on a 64 bit OS). End result is that my 64 bit application doesn't find them.

The VB app was originally built in VS2010, and the MSI builder in that IDE had no problem installing and registering the VB app. The VB project used in with VS2013 is unchanged from the original, I just had to add the new InstallSheild project.

Can anyone educate me on how to get ISLE 2013 to build a 64bit installer? The 'what's new' page says it should work ("[There will be] several new features in InstallShield Limited Edition including ... Support for installing x64 applications and services" http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2013/08/15/what-s-new-in-visual-studio-2013-and-installshield-limited-edition.aspx) but is installing x64 applications different than installing x64 VB COM interop applications?
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

If your machine is 64 bit, it will only make the 64 bit .msi file when you build release by setting the platform to "Any CPU".

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

0 Kudos