cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ginolard
Level 3

How to force replacement of all files in Basic MSI project?

I have a Basic MSI project for my applicaton and I want it to replace all previously installed files whenever it is run.

I have marked all files as "Always Overwrite" in the properties of each file but the files are still not overwritten.

The project is compiled as a single setup.exe (it includes the .NET framework as well).

How can I force all files to be replaced?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
thepeter
Level 7

have a look at REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL properties.
0 Kudos
ginolard
Level 3

I have changed the REINSTALLMODE property to VOMUS and the REINSTALL property to ALL and it still doesn't replace the files.

I'm rather new to InstallShield 😉

I don't want my users to have to enter these on the command line by the way, I just want the setup to replace the files that have changed.
0 Kudos
ginolard
Level 3

Well, this is just weird. If I delete some of the installed files and rerun the setup it doesn't even reinstall them.

What's going on here? I must be doing something wrong but I would've thought the default behaviour would be to at least reinstall misisng files?!
0 Kudos
ginolard
Level 3

bump. Can someone help with this?

At the moment, I build the MSI and when it installs it says "this will perform an upgrade of MYAPP, do you wish to continue". Except that it does nothing. It doesn't update any files at all.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

I would suggest you run it with /lv* to get a verbose log that might give you some clue as to the issue. You might also try running validation on the MSI to see if there are any problems there that might cause it not to upgrade.
0 Kudos
RodneyM
Level 4

I'm running into exactly the same problem. I think it's related to the fact that we removed a component that was a shared Microsoft dll that we no longer need. And we added another component in.

After the install appears to go through correctly and it doesn't install the new files I can go to the Control Panel->Add and Remove-> and then do the Modify and when it shows the features there is a yellow number 1 on the icon for our main Program Files feature that has to be installed. If I select that then it finally adds in the new dll that we added but it still doesn't replace the exe or any of those files.

Only if I do the Repair does it do that. So it's almost like the Modify doesn't know the files are newer.

I even tried adding a major upgrade item into the Upgrade Table and it still doesn't work and I even change the product from 2.0 to 3.0 and it still doesn't fix it.
0 Kudos