cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to create a silent install MSI?

I'm new to InstallShield, so this may be an easy question. My deployment utility requires single-file MSI installers which have no user interaction (i.e. setup.exe with an iss file won't work). I've successfully hidden most user dialogs by setting visible = false. However the welcome dialog, ready to install dialog, and setup successful dialog appear despite have visible set to false. I also tried deleting them altogether, but that caused errors. What is the trick for hiding these dialogs?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Does the deployment tool provide the option to run the installer silently (with a command equivalent to msiexec.exe /i productname.msi /qn)? Normally, a silent installation is a characteristic of the deployment tool and not the installer...
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

I did something that sounds similar to what you're trying to do. I had a deployment utility program that ran selected product MSIs, but I didn't want to run them with the silent switch.

Instead, the deployment utility set a command line property (such as SILENT_RUN="Yes") and I used the property to condition the dialogs that appear in the sequence table. All the costing and other actions in the UI sequence ran, but the dialogs did not display. (Of course, you have to be willing to accept the default values from all of the dialogs.)
0 Kudos