cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarakg
Level 3

How to create 64-bit Setup in InstallScript project.

Dear all,

I am doing a pure installscript project in Installshield 2009. The setup is required for installation on 64-bit machines. I have no idea as how to get the Setup.exe (Single package) as a 64-bit binary. Points to note:

1) We can not set the Template Summary property to Intel64 / x64 like in a Basic MSI or Installscript MSI project.

2) My components are getting installed in 64-bit Program files as I haev defined TARGETDIR as \\. So no issues here.

3) Uninstall registry is getting craeted in WOW 64 even if I disable redirection in onbegin(). This is because our Setup.exe is 32-bit.

If anyone has anu idea on how to get a 64-bit Single Package Setup.exe, please help me out. Thanks in anticipation...

- tarak
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

tarakg wrote:

3) Uninstall registry is getting craeted in WOW 64 even if I disable redirection in onbegin(). This is because our Setup.exe is 32-bit.

'CreateInstallationInfo' creates the Uninstall registry information and will be called during 'OnMoveData'. The help of 'CreateInstallationInfo' reports:
"InstallShield currently does not support installing an application as 64-bit. Therefore the functionality available in the REGDB_OPTIONS system variable is not supported for this registry function. Enabling the REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY option has no effect on where registry entries are created by this function."
0 Kudos
tarakg
Level 3

Thanks for the reply Holger... I understand as per your comment that we can not create a 64-bit Setup. But enabling the flag REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY in onBegin(), can't we re-direct all the regsitry key entries to 64-bit hive, & for the Uninstall key that gets created in Wow6432Node we can just delete it with RegDBDeleteKey in Uninstall's onMoved() event ?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

That first sentence quoted from the help is confusing. I think it needs to say something like "The InstallScript engine currently does not support reading or writing Add or Remove Programs information in the 64-bit part of the registry." All ARP info is written to the 32-bit part of the registry, even if you use the REGDB_OPTION_WOW64_64KEY flag. However, as you found, an InstallScript installation can write to other 64-bit locations.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
tarakg
Level 3

Thanks for the clarification... Hope future versions of Installscript projects will be able to create 64-bit setups !
0 Kudos