cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

How to change the File Version of the Setup.exe file?

Guys,

Here is an interesting one.

I'm using IS2008 building an InstallScript MSI project. I'm wondering how do you change the file version of the Setup.exe file built? This file version I'm talking about is the one you see on the Version tab of the Properties dialog of the setup.exe file (right click on the setup.exe file and then select Properties on Windows XP/select Details on VISTA).

It is not the same as the application version you entered in General Information, though I think it should be.

Anyone has any idea about this one? Thanks for helping.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
thepeter
Level 7

In General Information you set the "ProductVersion" property of the MSI. Setup.exe is nothing but a bootstrapper that launches your installation with prerequisites, properties, etc. To change the File Version of the Setup.exe you need to open it with Visual Studio and navigate to Version node.

Peter
0 Kudos
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

thepeter,

I see. Gonna give it a try. Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

The version number that InstallShield puts into the setup launcher (in this case, setup.exe) corresponds to the version of InstallShield that build the exe (in the case of InstallShield 2009, that version is 15.x.x.x).
0 Kudos
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

DanGalender,

I see. Thanks for the info.

But guys, I have a follow up question. I tried to change the file version of my setup.exe file with VS2005 and succeeded...so to speak. The file version was changed but the setup file was corrupted also. Before changing the file version, the file size of the setup.exe was about 4 MB, after changing the file size, it becomes some 300 KB and, of course, it doesn't run anymore.

Anyone knows why?
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

Without even going into the issue you're having with the size (and integrity) of the setup.exe file, I can think of some drawbacks to modifying the exe file. For example, if the exe was digitally signed, modifying the file will invalidate the signature. Also, you'd have to do this after every build.

Have you considered using the product version in the file name (like "My Product 4.2.exe" or "MyProduct V4.2.exe") rather than tampering with the file version? Not only does this eliminate the need to post-process the exec after every build, but it make it even easier for your users to see what the file installes (saves at least 3 mouse clicks and another window on the screen).
0 Kudos
Clue_Clueless
Level 4

Dan, (it's Dan, right?)

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have thought about doing it your way. However, this issue came up because some of our customers expressed the concern about the inconsistency of the "Product Version" (defined in the General Info) and the "File Version" in question. That's why I'm looking for a way to do this.

Again, thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
gurinder
Level 4

Hi

Did u by any chance figured how to change the version and other info without corrupting the setup.

Thanks
Gurindersm
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

Clue.Clueless wrote:
Dan, (it's Dan, right?)

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply.

I have thought about doing it your way. However, this issue came up because some of our customers expressed the concern about the inconsistency of the "Product Version" (defined in the General Info) and the "File Version" in question. That's why I'm looking for a way to do this.

Again, thanks for the reply.

IS does not provide RC or Assemblyinfo type of file where you could make these changes, only option you have is to download a reliable resourceeditor open you setup.exe and change the strings are you please..

one of them which i have used sucessfully is

http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

HTH
0 Kudos
gurinder
Level 4

Hi Gvarma

The utility that you referred to also corrupts the installer. The actual size of the installer is 17 MB and after modifications the size comes down to around 360 Kb.

Any other alternates.

Thanks
Gurindersm
0 Kudos
CodeSavvyGeek
Level 3

I've had success with ResHacker, but it's no longer being developed. There is a link to a similar open source tool, XN Resource Editor, which also seems to work. I don't know if there is a way to automate either of these tools.
0 Kudos
ilguso
Level 2

Clue.Clueless wrote:
Guys,

Here is an interesting one.

I'm using IS2008 building an InstallScript MSI project. I'm wondering how do you change the file version of the Setup.exe file built? This file version I'm talking about is the one you see on the Version tab of the Properties dialog of the setup.exe file (right click on the setup.exe file and then select Properties on Windows XP/select Details on VISTA).

It is not the same as the application version you entered in General Information, though I think it should be.

Anyone has any idea about this one? Thanks for helping.

Hi,

I read here "https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/SetupLauncherProperties.htm" that you need to specify 4 digits for your Product Version in order to setup File Version otherwise InstallShield will fill the missing digits with zeros.
Cheers
0 Kudos