cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hh1234
Level 5

How to call msiexec ?

I am new to InstallShield 11. Can anyone tell me, or better yet pass along a script, that calls msiexec.exe and then runs a few .MSI files. And these .MSI files are compiled within the .ism script. I know I can install files under "files and folders" but I am not sure how to run msiexec and then point it to the location where the .MSI were installed.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
gridman
Level 8

If you are working in a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project, you can do a Chained Installation.

You set up a Chained Installation in the Releases view of your project, and you chain other MSI files to your main installation project. Now, these chained MSI files must be built beforehand. You can not build them in your main installation project.

Chained Installation is the safest way to do what you are wanting. You can look it up in the Help. There will also be many posts related to Chained Installations in this forum.
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

Chained MSI is the best option in case of MSI based projects......... If you are just installing two MSI files (and run) then you can also consider using InstallScript wrapper just to have an exe wrapper.
0 Kudos
hh1234
Level 5

This command line worked:

LaunchApplication("msiexec.exe", "/i " + SUPPORTDIR^"Orca.msi" + " /qn REBOOT=R", "", SW_NORMAL, INFINITE, LAAW_OPTION_WAIT | LAAW_OPTION_USE_SHELLEXECUTE);

But, no matter what i try I can't get it to run the following:

cmd.exe /c md c:\windows\build

I've replaced msiexec.exe with cmd.exe and tried many different syntax combo's and nothing worked yet. How would you run this command: cmd.exe /c md c:\windows\build ?
0 Kudos