cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melvynp32
Level 3

How to assure SQL Syntax is acceptable

Using Installshield 12.0 I am building a release of a client server (Powerbuilder 11.1) application that uses a number of sql files that create stored procedures in SQL Anywhere 11.0. There are a couple of choices of syntax style that will work for the database. However when Installshield runs these files it is very likely to throw back syntax errors and stop the installation. I have found that they style of sytax that works seems to be T-SQL (this is what is shown in SQL anywhere manuals) Every SQL statement must end in a semicolon and one cannot use 'Select' to set a variable directly.
'Set var = ... ' must be used. ' If' statements must have 'then' and 'end if'. And so on.

My real question: Is there a way to get Installshield to not be so fussy about the syntax. We get files from many programmers and discplining them all to write the same syntax is not easily accomplished. And why should Installshield be more fussy than Sybase?

Thanks,
Melvyn Polatchek
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
hidenori
Level 17

Are you using the SQL Scripts view to run your scripts against SQL Anywhere? If so, please note that InstallShield supports Micrsoft SQL Server, Oracle, and MySQL. It does not support SQL Anywhere. You need to write your own code that manages connecting to SQL Anywhere databases and running your SQL scripts.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos