cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JannyLan
Level 3

How to add a new feature in the msi silent mode install

Hi,

I have 2 features in the install project, and have 2 properties to control which feature to be installed: INSTALLFEATURE_A & INSTALLFEATURE_B.

In the UI mode, the INSTALLFEATURE_A and INSTALLFEATURE_B properties are control by checkboxes. In the silent install mode, use commandline INSTALLFEATURE_A = "" or INSTALLFEATURE_A="1" to determine whether to install the feature_a or not. By default feature_a is installed and feature_b is not installed.

In the UI mode everything works fine. I can run the install to install feature_a first, then run the install again to bring the install to the modify mode, then select the install_b to be installed.

But in the silent install mode, I try to:
1. run " msiexec /i /qb " to install the product in default (install feature_a)

2. run " msiexec /i /qb INSTALLFEATURE_B="1" ", nothing happen, feature_b is not installed.

I also try to run "msiexec /i /qb INSTALLFEATURE_B="1" REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=feature_b ", it doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to add new feature to the install in the silent mode?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Gvarma
Level 7

JannyLan wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 features in the install project, and have 2 properties to control which feature to be installed: INSTALLFEATURE_A & INSTALLFEATURE_B.

In the UI mode, the INSTALLFEATURE_A and INSTALLFEATURE_B properties are control by checkboxes. In the silent install mode, use commandline INSTALLFEATURE_A = "" or INSTALLFEATURE_A="1" to determine whether to install the feature_a or not. By default feature_a is installed and feature_b is not installed.

In the UI mode everything works fine. I can run the install to install feature_a first, then run the install again to bring the install to the modify mode, then select the install_b to be installed.

But in the silent install mode, I try to:
1. run " msiexec /i /qb " to install the product in default (install feature_a)

2. run " msiexec /i /qb INSTALLFEATURE_B="1" ", nothing happen, feature_b is not installed.

I also try to run "msiexec /i /qb INSTALLFEATURE_B="1" REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=feature_b ", it doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to add new feature to the install in the silent mode?

Thanks.

Simplest thing for you would be to use .iss files. you could create .iss file for each type of installation you do, then call this files at the time of installation.

HTH
0 Kudos