cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Farkas
Level 4

How to add .NET 3.5 Framework Prereq to InstallScript project

Hi,

I need to add a prereq for .NET 3.5 Framework to my InstallScript project. I have downloaded the 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.prq' and 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (Web Download).prq' files from the Accresso website and saved them in my SetupPrerequisites folder. I can open the files fine in my Prereq Editor from InstallShield but they do not show up in my objects list so I can not add to my project.
All I can see in my objects list is the Microsoft .NET Framework Object (I downloaded the most recent version of this object from the Accresso website also). This allows me to set the Framework version to use but 3.5 is not listed as an option (only 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 are listed).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
sanjeevbishnoi
Level 3

you add the particular .Net setup in your release folder.
Release--->Media-->disk1-->
in that position
and then call that path in your function
SRCDIR ^ "VB.net" ^".exe"
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

John Farkas wrote:
Hi,

I need to add a prereq for .NET 3.5 Framework to my InstallScript project. I have downloaded the 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.prq' and 'Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (Web Download).prq' files from the Accresso website and saved them in my SetupPrerequisites folder. I can open the files fine in my Prereq Editor from InstallShield but they do not show up in my objects list so I can not add to my project.
All I can see in my objects list is the Microsoft .NET Framework Object (I downloaded the most recent version of this object from the Accresso website also). This allows me to set the Framework version to use but 3.5 is not listed as an option (only 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 are listed).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can add your prerequisite as shown in the screenshot attached.. this works fine and you can use it for every setup (exe or msi dosen't matter) which is not included in the list... and you can define also conditions that have to met to avoid installing the Framework on the target if its already exists there and so on..
In Version 2008 of Installshield there is a little bug, which means that the template have to reopen on every new project and then save again to activate

hope this helps
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The InstallScript project type does not include support for setup prerequisites. (Therefore, the Objects view in InstallScript projects does not list any setup prerequisites.)

The .NET Framework redistributable is typically added to InstallScript projects through the .NET Framework object. The .NET Framework object that shipped with InstallShield 2008 did not include support for .NET Framework 3.5. (The .NET Framework object that ships with InstallShield 2009 does include support for 3.5.)

You might want to consider customizing the .NET Framework object template that is available for InstallShield 2008; I've never tried it, but I think that you can add support for .NET Framework 3.5 to that template. That would enable you to create an updated .NET object that you could use in InstallShield 2008.
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

DebbieL wrote:
The InstallScript project type does not include support for setup prerequisites. (Therefore, the Objects view in InstallScript projects does not list any setup prerequisites.)

The .NET Framework redistributable is typically added to InstallScript projects through the .NET Framework object. The .NET Framework object that shipped with InstallShield 2008 did not include support for .NET Framework 3.5. (The .NET Framework object that ships with InstallShield 2009 does include support for 3.5.)

You might want to consider customizing the .NET Framework object template that is available for InstallShield 2008; I've never tried it, but I think that you can add support for .NET Framework 3.5 to that template. That would enable you to create an updated .NET object that you could use in InstallShield 2008.

oh i see thanks it was my fault.. my project are all BASIC MSI's

there is it of course possible to add the Framework directly within the PEREQ Editor
0 Kudos
KarenMcElroy
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:

OK, so how do you go about editing this template? And what 3.5 object do we then try to install?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

First you need to make sure that you have the InstallScript Object for the .NET Framework installed. Then install the object templates. (You can obtain both of those by checking for updates from within InstallShield: Tools > Check for Updates. As an alternative, you can download them from the Acresso Web site: http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_8721.htm.)

When you're done installing the object template, launch the InstallScript Object Customization Wizard. (You can choose to launch it at the end of the template installation, or you can use the shortcut from the Start Menu.) The wizard will walk you through the initial steps. I recommend specifying to create a new object, rather than replace the existing .NET Framework object. The wizard will then create a new object project based on the current object that ships in InstallShield 2008.

You'll need to obtain the .NET Framework redistributable. You can get it from Microsoft's Web site. Add that to the project. Then update the script in the InstallScript view as needed. I think the key event that you'll probably need to update is OnInstalledFile.
0 Kudos
KarenMcElroy
Level 3

thank You. But, when I downloaded and tried to install the templates object I got the following message. no idea what to do with this.

My computer is XP Pro and up to date on all Microsoft updates including SP2.

I'm open to suggestions.

:confused:
0 Kudos
KarenMcElroy
Level 3

Please disregard the previous message, it turned out to be a bad download. Redownloading the object templates and reinstalling worked.

I can run the Template Customization app, but it gives another error, see below. The .Net Object is installed, I can add it to a project, so I'm sure its there.

Both VB6 runtime and MFC runtime projects could be started with new objects.

I also tried modifying the .Net object as a last resort, but that choice didn't work either.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos