cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

How to access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ on Windows Vista

My installer installs few third party application on Windows platform.My installer creates one subkey in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ and puts some values under a subkey in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\.
It used to work fine on Windows XP/2000.

But on Windows Vista it denies the access with error message re. "access denied". So I am not able to access HKLM.

its really bugging...
Please help in this problem and led me to a solution.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Sounds like you do not have admin access when running the installation. Try right clicking on the installation and select 'Run as Administrator'.

If that works, one option is to set the Required Execution Level of the bootstrap of your setup. You can set this in InstallShield in the releases view.

Technically MSI based setups should not need to set this. However I do not have enough details about your setup to comment further.
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

thanks for reply..I am able to create subkey as administrator..but any Standard User or any user of admin group is not able to create that subkey...
What will I hav to do??

One very severe problem is that I am getting one UAC prompt for each application(i.e setup.exe)..which is all together 8 UAC prompts..Its not accepted by our userd...Please guide me how can I suppress allUAC and just show Only one UAC for all application(installer+8 application)...I read in an article that windows installer 4.5 can install multiple packages with single UAC prompt by using digital signed certificate...How can I do that in Windows installer 4.5..Is there any other way to do so...???

Thanks for Help
0 Kudos
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

What are you using to launch your 8 applications? You need to launch them from an elevated process to avoid the 8 UAC prompts.

Standard Users (on Vista) need to be elevated to write to the keys you are trying to write to. Standard Users in the admin group, by default, have split tokens. In order for the Standard user to get full admin rights, a UAC prompt is required.
0 Kudos
amit_kumar3117
Level 5

I think user of admin group can't set values for a key(or can't create key)..What should i do to elevate this..Can you tell me the exact way to do this..i am begineer for this tool (IS2008 prof. edition)..Please guide me step wise for both problem...

In case of 8 applications I am able to suppress UAC for master installer only..other applications are still showing prompt.

Please help

Thanks
0 Kudos