cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaronboock
Level 2

How to Repackage a Patch

I have a legacy setup EXE and also a few patches that are also EXE.

Goal: Repackage the legacy setup EXE into MSI form, this would serve as the base installation. Repackage each patch into a separate MSP to apply, and uninstall if desired.

How can this be accomplished? The methods listed below have both yielded many validation errors.

I have tried:
- repackaging the base into an MSI, then capturing that MSI plus patch EXE to use for building a patch
- repackaging the legacy EXE into an MSI, then repackaging the legacy EXE plus patch EXE to use for building a patch
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
HennoKeers
Level 7

aaronboock wrote:
I have a legacy setup EXE and also a few patches that are also EXE.

Goal: Repackage the legacy setup EXE into MSI form, this would serve as the base installation. Repackage each patch into a separate MSP to apply, and uninstall if desired.

How can this be accomplished? The methods listed below have both yielded many validation errors.

I have tried:
- repackaging the base into an MSI, then capturing that MSI plus patch EXE to use for building a patch
- repackaging the legacy EXE into an MSI, then repackaging the legacy EXE plus patch EXE to use for building a patch

Could you send me you ism so I can take a peek?

reg, Henno
0 Kudos
aaronboock
Level 2

It appears that the errors are caused by component ID's not maching in the Base and Latest MSI's.

What is the recommended process for attacking the situation I am in?
0 Kudos