cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tnand53
Level 5

How run MSI without calling setup.exe

1.I have an MSI.When i run the MSI,it asks me to run setup.exe. Please let me know how to run the MSI without calling Setup.exe.

2. In Basic or InstallScript project; where does setup.exe extract the MSI.
what is the path where MSI is extracted.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Dan_Galender
Level 10

1. You'd have to look at the MSI (open it with InstallShield or ORCA) to see what it's looking for. Very likely there is a Launch Condition (InstallShield calls them Install Conditions) that is testing for a property being set by the setup launcher. If so, you could set the property yourself on the command line, author the property into the Property Manager, or remove the Launch Condition.

2. When the MSI is running (say stopped on a dialog box), do a Start | Run... and type %temp% in the open box. Then sort the entries by date and start opening the folders with GUID names down the list from most recent to oldest until you find the MSI file.
0 Kudos
tnand53
Level 5

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I just have a simple MSI. I have opened the MSI using IS2008 but launch condition is empty.
Is there any custom action that is running..
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

You could also look for Error-type custom actions, but any custom action could be the cause of this behavior.

Could you run the setup and generate an MSI log file? That would point precisely to the source of the error message.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For (1), perhaps it's an InstallScript MSI package, which in InstallShield 2008 and earlier requires setup.exe?

(As an aside, InstallShield 2009 introduced InstallScript as an embedded UI handler, which means that InstallScript MSI packages can be launched from the MSI database.)
0 Kudos
Opus100
Level 2

Sorry I tred to post this as a response.

The informaiton below works for package msi that can only be run from setup.exe.

Hi, I found a fix that worked for me on this issue. Add the following public property on the command line; ISSETUPDRIVEN=1

Ken
0 Kudos
Opus100
Level 2

Hi, I found a fix that worked for me on this issue. Add the following public property on the command line; ISSETUPDRIVEN=1

Ken
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Yes, please see KB article Q108166.
0 Kudos