cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chethanjs
Level 3

How do i enable logging on InstallShield 2009?

Hi,

I have WindowsInstaller 3.0 and InstallShield 2009 professional and trying to build a MSI.

I goto Build--> Settings --> MSI Log File and provide command line arguments as: /Lvm c:\temp\install.log

and build the project install and install the product, I see no logs generated.

I do have "MsiLogging" property set as 'voicewarmup'.

But yet I see no log generated. What else should I be doing?

Thanks,
Chethan.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I believe that setting applies only when you launch the MSI from the InstallShield environment. With MSI 4+, there are properties that create MSI log files no matter what, but with earlier versions you'll need to trigger with setup.exe settings or command-line switches.
0 Kudos
chethanjs
Level 3

So in short, it's impossible to log a msi installation when on InstallShield 2009 and on windows installer version= 3.0 . Is that right?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

With just the MSI, there's no way to initiate logging with Windows Installer before version 4.0. You can, of course, tell the setup.exe to pass the command-line arguments to perform logging in the release settings, but that requires the user to launch setup.exe and not the MSI database.

There's also a Windows Installer policy setting you can use that logs every Windows Installer installation, but that's not practical on an end user's system, only a development or testing system.
0 Kudos
chethanjs
Level 3

Thanks a lot Robert. Things are much clearer.

Note to self: Smart 'googling' has it's limitations. Clarification rules.
0 Kudos