cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_quiet
Level 3

How do I tell what project type a project is?

Hi Guys,

Ive been tasked with the task of learning installshield just looking at a project that a contractor made for us, im wondering what project type he made it with? Is it a 'basic msi' or is it an 'installscript msi?' - is there an easy way to tell?

Im thinking that its a basic msi because in the 'project assistant' tab we have the 'Installation Interview' option at the bottom. Which is not present when I create a new 'Installscript Msi' project type.

One other question is if the installation interview is not available how do I get an installshield msi project to ask where the user would like to install the app to? - are there any beginner tutorials?

Cheers
Pete
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jimd68
Level 3

If you check in the help files, (Menubar help->contents) there are some tutorials there that are helpful.

Good luck
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

When you have a project open in InstallShield, the project type is listed in InstallShield's title bar. It's in square brackets.

If you are new to InstallShield, you may want to start with a Basic MSI project or an InstallScript project. One common reason why Basic MSI projects are often used is that they make it easy for corporate system administrators to customize your software without having to repackage your installation. It also is a good project type if you want to earn the Windows logo. An InstallScript project offers more flexibility for your installation's user interface. It lets you write InstallScript code to handle anything from the UI to special file transfer steps. InstallScript MSI projects are often considered to be more complicated than the other two project types, at least from a learning perspective, because the Windows Installer engine drives parts of the installation, and the InstallScript engine drives other parts.

You may want to review the eval guide (PDF), since it has some basic tutorials, plus an intro to some of the newest features in InstallShield:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/evalguide_IS2010.pdf

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
peter_quiet
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
When you have a project open in InstallShield, the project type is listed in InstallShield's title bar. It's in square brackets.

If you are new to InstallShield, you may want to start with a Basic MSI project or an InstallScript project. One common reason why Basic MSI projects are often used is that they make it easy for corporate system administrators to customize your software without having to repackage your installation. It also is a good project type if you want to earn the Windows logo. An InstallScript project offers more flexibility for your installation's user interface. It lets you write InstallScript code to handle anything from the UI to special file transfer steps. InstallScript MSI projects are often considered to be more complicated than the other two project types, at least from a learning perspective, because the Windows Installer engine drives parts of the installation, and the InstallScript engine drives other parts.

You may want to review the eval guide (PDF), since it has some basic tutorials, plus an intro to some of the newest features in InstallShield:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/evalguide_IS2010.pdf

I hope that helps.

Thanks alot, i will look at these turorials sure ill be here again 🙂
0 Kudos