cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWillis
Level 5

How do I (command-line install questions)?

Hi,

I currently have an Installscript MSI Project which builds, and installs properly. I am now trying to configure the ability to install through the command line, using msiexec.

msiexec specifies that I must include the package name, for example:

msiexec /package installer.msi /passive /forcereboot

However, my build, when uncompressed, gives me an msi file which can only be invoked through the setup.exe that is also included with the build.

What I want to do is compress all the files and folders into an msi (if that's even possible), and be able to run that msi via msiexec so I can have an automated install...

What do I need to do in order to configure my project to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DWillis
Level 5

Any takers?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Aside from the new embedded InstallScript MSI option (which requires Windows Installer 4.5), InstallScript MSI projects must be launched from setup.exe. However if your primary goal is to make it a silent install, please see the help topics for recording silent installations.
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

MichaelU wrote:
Aside from the new embedded InstallScript MSI option (which requires Windows Installer 4.5), InstallScript MSI projects must be launched from setup.exe. However if your primary goal is to make it a silent install, please see the help topics for recording silent installations.

And that's basically what I needed. thank you sir.
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

DWillis wrote:
And that's basically what I needed. thank you sir.

Interesting, I created an input file using setup /r and running through the install.

However, now when I attempt to use the file I get a 1628 error when I issue the following command:
setup /fi"[pathtofile]"

when I try to run it in silent mode, it simply doesn't do anything. I see it invoke msiexec, but the application doesn't do anything.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

DWillis wrote:
Interesting, I created an input file using setup /r and running through the install.

However, now when I attempt to use the file I get a 1628 error when I issue the following command:
setup /fi"[pathtofile]"

when I try to run it in silent mode, it simply doesn't do anything. I see it invoke msiexec, but the application doesn't do anything.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

forget it. I got it figured out. I Had to use the /v/qn commands as well to trigger something in msiexec to properly run.
0 Kudos