cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davehancey
Level 2

How do I - From a newbie

I have searched without success, so I apologize up front. If you can help me find the answer or just relate it' I'd appreciate it very much!
My organization has a folder on the Start Menu of every PC (containing our company name) that we put all our business line application shortcuts in.
How can I publish a shortcut to that folder inside my newly repackaged application. I have tried using the installation designer tab in direct edit mode of the msi I created, unsuccessfully. I have only been able to create a duplicate folder of the same named folder, with my shortcut inside it.
How do I get my shortcut into my already existing start menu folder?

Thanks,
Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Niveka
Level 2

davehancey wrote:
I have searched without success, so I apologize up front. If you can help me find the answer or just relate it' I'd appreciate it very much!
My organization has a folder on the Start Menu of every PC (containing our company name) that we put all our business line application shortcuts in.
How can I publish a shortcut to that folder inside my newly repackaged application. I have tried using the installation designer tab in direct edit mode of the msi I created, unsuccessfully. I have only been able to create a duplicate folder of the same named folder, with my shortcut inside it.
How do I get my shortcut into my already existing start menu folder?

Thanks,
Dave

Has there been any resolution to this? I'm having the exact same problem. Our company has a folder "Start->All Programs->Company Programs", I would like to place a shortcut to my application in this folder, when I create a "Company Programs" folder under the "Programs Menu" folder in my Install Shield project I end up with two "Company Programs" folders on my start menu. Why doesn't it just use the existing folder if its already there? Should this really be that difficult?
0 Kudos
Charlatat
Level 3

Niveka wrote:
Has there been any resolution to this? I'm having the exact same problem. Our company has a folder "Start->All Programs->Company Programs", I would like to place a shortcut to my application in this folder, when I create a "Company Programs" folder under the "Programs Menu" folder in my Install Shield project I end up with two "Company Programs" folders on my start menu. Why doesn't it just use the existing folder if its already there? Should this really be that difficult?

I'm a newb too so bare with me but is your Company Start Menu folder under ALLUSERS profile or the current USER profile? I'm suspecting that since you're getting two folders showing up, there's a folder being created in each profile.
0 Kudos
GrantK
Level 7

Hi,

Instead of opening your project with direct edit mode, open as msi project. This will let you make any modifications and rebuild a new installation package.

1. File
2. Open
3. Locate you install (change the drop down for All Installschielf projects to your installs extension)
4. Hit the drop down arrow next to the Open button and select Wizard
5. Select the radio button for Convert MSI/MSM to an InstallShield Project

Modify your install and build a new install.

Grant
0 Kudos