cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodneyM
Level 4

How can it reinstall a desktop shortcut when running in modify mode

I've added a desktop shortcut by following several hints I found here and it's working fine when I initially run the install.

Basically I created the Component, associated it to a feature, then added a checkbox to the Install Ready dialog that controls it. The problem is that if I delete the desktop shortcut and then rerun the install setup it gives me the Maintenance dialog with the Modify/Repair/Remove options and then I pick Modify and then the Features dialog and then the Ready to Install with my checkboxes but when it runs through it doesn't create the new desktop shortcut to replace the old one.

Only if I recompile it with a new minor build number will it then add a new shortcut. Any way to force it to always update or add the shortcuts?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
TsungH
Level 12

I presume that "added a checkbox to the Install Ready dialog that controls it" means setting a property which is used as component condition. Since user's selection made in a fresh install is lost during maintenance, you will need to maintain it yourself. You can write the value to registry, and, during maintenance, have the install read from registry and act accordingly. You will need to set component to reevaluate condition.
0 Kudos