cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnInSoCal
Level 2

How can I suppress msirmfilesinuse dialog with an MSI installation

I have a MSI installation project and need to supress the msirmfilesinuse dialog that shows up during installation and just have the setup automatically ask the user to reboot at the end of installation. It's not possible to stop the services and applications that may be in use with my product as it's a file system driver and integrated tightly into windows and it's subsystems. How can I accomplish this ? This dialog only started popping up after upgrading my project from InstallShield 2009 to InstallShield 2012 spring.

thanks,
-- john
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
CHANDINATHREDDY
Level 7

Hi,
Add the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog box to your package. If the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog box is present in the package, the Windows Vista user running an installation at the Full UI user interface level is given the option to automatically close and restart applications. An installation package can contain information for both the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog box and the FilesInUse dialog box . The MsiRMFilesInUse dialog box is only displayed if the package is installed with at least Windows Installer version 4.0 on Windows Vista, and is otherwise ignored. Existing packages that do not have the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog box continue to function using the FilesInUse dialog box. A customization transform can be used to add an MsiRMFilesInUse dialog box to existing packages.
Register applications for a restart using the RegisterApplicationRestart function. Restart Manager can only restart applications that have been registered for restart
0 Kudos