cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gcouch
Level 4

How can I display only the long file name/path string?

Hi,

I would like to display the "Start Menu Folder" in a "Ready To Install" dialog GUI for the software being installed but it requires both a short and long file path.  e.g. "TESTNA~1|TESTNAME Long"

The problem is, I don't want to display the short name "TESTNA~1|" in the GUI. I only want "TESTNAME Long".
InstallShield02.PNG

If I leave out the short name string definition, I see the errors

ISDEV : error -7354: The English (United States) value for string 'ID_STRING1' does not contain a legitimate value for table Directory column DefaultDir
ISDEV : error -7354: The English (United States) value for string 'ID_STRING1' does not contain a legitimate value for table Shortcut column Name

Is there anything I can do to get around this problem?

I am using InstallShield 2019 R3. When I used InstallShield 2015, I did not have to include the short file name as part of the file path definition.

Here is what my setup looks like:
InstallShield01.PNG

Thanks,
George

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(16) Replies
roman2
Level 7

Please try to put
[StartMenuFolder] as property
to Text field ( ID_STRING1 ) .
0 Kudos

I tried using [StartMenuFolder] but that did not fix the problem. I still see the errors.

InstallShield03.PNG

0 Kudos

Look at the Directory Table.

Here is the original row:

Roman2_0-1583835128376.png

Look also at String Editor what are the values of localized ID_STRING1

0 Kudos

Can you include the column headers? I'm not able to tell what each value means.

I have the following:

InstallShield04.PNG

Does that look right?

0 Kudos

What is SmartMenuFolder ?

0 Kudos

I don't have a row with SmartMenuFolder.  Where/How exactly do I add it? Can you include the table header so I can see what values to add?

InstallShield05.PNG

0 Kudos

In your screen shot of ID_STRING1,  there is SmartMenuFolder property . Perhaps it should be  StartMenuFolder   ????

An mistake?

Roman2_0-1583843743112.png

0 Kudos

You're right. That was a mistake.  🙂  "StartMenuFolder" does not work either. Do  I need to add anything else to define what StartMenuFolder is?

InstallShield06.PNG

0 Kudos

I do not know what for do you need ID_STRING1. You have 4 error messages. You use it 4 times.

Look what is the difference to other languages. You have error only for english.
Have you looked at Directory Table for StartMenuFolder ?

0 Kudos

The build errors only occurs when I change ID_STRING1 to a value that does not contain a short and long string.
e.g. the string does not generate any compiler errors  "TESTNA~1|TESTNAME Long" but this string is displayed as:

InstallShield08.PNG

If I use [StartMenuFolder], I see the same build error

ISDEV : error -7354: The English (United States) value for string 'ID_STRING1' does not contain a legitimate value for table Directory column DefaultDir
ISDEV : error -7354: The English (United States) value for string 'ID_STRING1' does not contain a legitimate value for table Shortcut column Name
Language English (United States) built

(I am only seeing the eror in the English version because that is the only language I am currently  making changes to include the full Start Menu Folder Path. )

I guess the error occurs because I need to include a short AND long file name for [StartMenuFolder]. BY the way, that path only generates the root path "c:\Users\whipp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\".

I actually need the path "c:\Users\whipp\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\TESTNAME Long"
I tried using " [StartMenuFolder]TESTNA~1| [StartMenuFolder]TESTNAME Long" but it generates the compiler error.   😞

To summarize the problem, I get the build error when I don't use a short and long file/directory name for ID_STRING1. On the other hand, when I use the short and long file/directory name, the directory is displayed as "TESTNA~1|TESTNAME Long"  instead of "TESTNAME Long". I need to find a way to display "TESTNAME Long"  without seeing a build error.

0 Kudos

It must be something wrong with your project architecture.

I have not any issues with.

I am still missing your feedback what is the value of StartMenuFolder in Directory Table.

Look at my test sample, please.

0 Kudos

Here is my StartMenuFolder in the Diretcory Table:

InstallShield09.PNG

Do you see anything wrong with it?

Thanks for the test sample. I'll take a look at it now.  🙂

0 Kudos

No, it looks to be ok.
0 Kudos

I notice that you are not using the short + long file names and no error is being generated. Do you know what triggers the requirement for a short+long file name?

0 Kudos

I do not know, sorry.

I have just create a very new IS2019 project. The rest was made by IS.

0 Kudos

Do you know if there are any side effects from the error 7354 being generated? Will an operations be skipped over during the build process?

Using  "[StartMenuFolder]TESTNAME Long" seems to provide the proper output I need, except it generates an error. I am wondering if I can keep this and just live with the error during the build process.

0 Kudos