cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naaz6907
Level 3

How 2 overwrite existing app files with patch files without effecting functionality?

Hi,

I want to replace few application files in 'Files and Folders' section with patch files. But when I drag and drop from the source to the destination, it is not replacing the existing files, but copying the dragged files from the source to the destination is not replacing the corresponding file and in the destination 2 files with the same name appear. My requirement is the patch files should replace the corresponding files in the INSTALLDIR so that while installing the application, we don't have to replace the patch files with existing ones manually.

Could anyone please share your thoughts on this?

Many Thanks,
Naaz.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you modify the source files directly, the next time you build a release InstallShield will use the current source files.

(If you're updating files or a product already on the system, please see the help for information about creating and validating a product update.)
0 Kudos
naaz6907
Level 3

Hi,

Could you please let me know where I can get this 'Creating and Validating Product' information?

Thanks,
Naaz.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The InstallShield documentation has a chapter "Updating Applications" that describes the various ideas, processes, tools, etc.
0 Kudos
naaz6907
Level 3

Hi,

I have created an updater.exe (Quick Patch). Could you please let me know how can I package the original MSI and the updater.exe as a single package so that I dont have to run 2 installs?

Many Thanks,
Naaz.
0 Kudos