cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nbachicha
Level 2

Hong Kong S.A.R. Support

When I run our installer with a locale of Hong Kong S.A.R it defaults to english instead of traditional Chinese. I've done some extensive searching and have only turned up broken links to Flexera KB pages. Does anyone have any insight on how to enable Hong Kong S.A.R. to fall back to traditional Chinese?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The exact scenario depends a bit on which project type you're using, but it is influenced by the code page differences between traditional and simplified Chinese. Our installations have long required exact language matches to the core Chinese languages due to this split. For example in an uncompressed Basic MSI projects, you can tweak this by editing a key in setup.ini - look for RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804 - removing this will change the behavior, but I'm uncertain how acceptable the effect will be when crossing the simplified / traditional boundary.
0 Kudos
nbachicha
Level 2

MichaelU wrote:
The exact scenario depends a bit on which project type you're using, but it is influenced by the code page differences between traditional and simplified Chinese. Our installations have long required exact language matches to the core Chinese languages due to this split. For example in an uncompressed Basic MSI projects, you can tweak this by editing a key in setup.ini - look for RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804 - removing this will change the behavior, but I'm uncertain how acceptable the effect will be when crossing the simplified / traditional boundary.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you have official documentation relating to Flexera and the language matches?

Thanks
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This help topic touches on this, but doesn't go into the details about the Chinese cases. I do think there's an opportunity here for us to revisit how automatic language selection works within the various Chinese languages and choose a better match; we're tracking this request under IOA-000080377.

Just to confirm I've captured what you expect, would it match your expectations if were to treat the Chinese Traditional locale ids 0x0404, 0x0C04 and 0x1404 as one language family, and the Chinese Simplified locale ids 0x0804 and 0x1004 as another language family, allowing fall backs only within each separate language family?
0 Kudos