cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arsirantala
Level 5

Hidden prerequisitive install possible?

Hi,

I'd like to make "forced" pre requisitive install for our release. Is the dialog possible to make hidden for the user? the dialog of that "needed pre requisitive installs are pending?"

Background story why we have this pre requisitive is that we need to have vs2005sp1 c++ runtime files installed on client's computer prior running the main installation. thats why I created pre requisitive of vs2005sp1 c++ runtime to have it first to be installed to the client's computer.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

InstallShield 2008 does not have the capability to do this (although you can certainly put in AppSearches and InstallConditions to ensure the prerequisite has been installed before continuing with the installation). We are examining the possibility of adding some form of "hidden" prerequisites to our next release; so please check back once it is available.
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

Hi,

Could you guide me (or provide a link to a possible white paper) how this kind of preinstallation of needed prerequisite would be done using AppSearches?

Thanks
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

I am assuming that you are developing a basic MSI installer package. Below are the instructions for setting up a System Search that is flagged as a requirement for install.

[LIST=1]
  • Click on GO = > Behavior and Logic => System Search
  • Right click in the work area and select the option to ADD a new system search.
  • The system search wizard starts. Click Next.
  • Select the option for 'Registry Entry' from the drop down list in the next dialog box.
  • Click Next
  • In the next dialog select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE from the list box.
  • Type in the following registry hive path: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d}
  • For the Registry Value type "DisplayName"
  • Click NEXT
  • In the Store In Property field type in a property name like "VC_REDIST_INSTALLED".
  • Under Additional Options choose the option to use this property as an installation condition.
  • Click on Finish and you are done!

Note that the GUID {7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d} is the GUID for the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Redistributable.
  • 0 Kudos
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

Thanks, Dan! Just to clarify, since arsirantala seemed to be expecting something else from an AppSearch, this procedure will not install the prerequisite. What it does is verify it has been installed, otherwise abort the install with a custom message so you can tell the user what's wrong and what they need to do.
    0 Kudos
    arsirantala
    Level 5

Hi,

Yes we create Basic MSI installation packages.
    0 Kudos