cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjmfgm
Level 5

Help on 64 bit and 32 bit MSI Installer

Hi there, I need help on creating an Windows MSI installer that checks the OS for 32 bit or 64 bit on an Intel or AMD Athelon systems. I do not know if I need to check for a particular Windows version i.e. XP,Vista or Windows 7?

Here is what I am trying to do:
Check the OS to see if it is 32 or 64 bit
Then I need to install the correct MSI package based on the OS.

I created two (2) MSI packages one (1) for 32 bit and one (1) for 64 bit. I do not know what to check for on these two (2) different versions in order to call the right Installer.

Also both installers have different registry keys and different values based on the 32 bit and the 64 bit OS's.

This is the first time I am attacking this type of problem and in desperate need on help. I did a search in this forum for some type of tutorial and or help and could not find any valuable information that explains to me on how to attack this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
BernardC
Level 4

Hi,

May be you could try to manage 2 prerequisite installers based on your two msi files (the one 32 bits OS and the one for 64 bits OS). In the installation condition of each prerequisite you could check for appropriate conditions.

In our case we have one different installer for each type of OS (32 bits or 64 bits), user has to choose the right one ; therefore unfortunately we did not test above solution.

Regards,
Bern
0 Kudos
mjmfgm
Level 5

Thank you sir, I will give this a try.
0 Kudos