cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Help links don't always work

I have noticed many times that when I am in the IDE working on a project (currently a Basic MSI) and in the bottom part of the third pane on the right of the screen is the explanation of a property you are clicking on. In this explanation section there are usually links. I would think that when you click on a link that the corresponding Help topic would be displayed, but it never is.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

BTW, I am just running the default installation of IS 2008 Professional. I haven't really changed the interface any from the default settings.

If no one else is having this problem, then there is something wrong with my installation.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(25) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

By the way, what is the version of the isdev.exe file that is installed for the InstallShield Editor? That information may also be helpful.

Thanks,
Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

The version of IsDev.exe is: 12.0.0.49974
Its location on my PC is: C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\7.5\Editor\System
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Regarding this:
my HelpLib.chm is at:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\Help\0409", as well as at:
"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\7.5\Editor\Program\0409"

Maybe the .chm files in the Common Files folder did not get updated. Can you launch the HelpLib.chm files in both of these locations and see what version of InstallShield they reference?

(I'm guessing that maybe the Common Files location has 11.5 .chm files, and the second location has the version 12 .chm files. If that's the case, you should be able to copy the version 12 files over to the Common Files location, overwriting the old 11.5 files.)

Thanks,
Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

Hi Debbie,

Sorry if I am bothering you for so long..

But again..both the locations are having same .chm file, thats for Installshield 11.5.
I dont know what the problem could be..but one thing I would like to tell you..that whenever there are popups saying 'Updates available for InstallShield..' I cancels them..what do you think..can this be the problem..do InstallShield help also gets updated?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I'm not sure what is going on. The only other thing I can think of is that you try uninstalling and then reinstalling InstallShield. If that doesn't resolve the problem, I recommend that you contact Support.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos