cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridman
Level 8

Help links don't always work

I have noticed many times that when I am in the IDE working on a project (currently a Basic MSI) and in the bottom part of the third pane on the right of the screen is the explanation of a property you are clicking on. In this explanation section there are usually links. I would think that when you click on a link that the corresponding Help topic would be displayed, but it never is.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

BTW, I am just running the default installation of IS 2008 Professional. I haven't really changed the interface any from the default settings.

If no one else is having this problem, then there is something wrong with my installation.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(25) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

What happens when you click a link? Nothing? Or does the InstallShield Help Library open, and point to a page-cannot-be-found error? Can you remember any specific areas (which property in which view) where this issues occurs?

Thanks!

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

When I click a link, nothing happens. No help window opens. Nothing happens.

Here's an example. Create a Basic MSI project, go to the Organization group, Setup Design View, click on a feature, click on the Display Name property. Then click on the "Custom Setup" or "select an existing entry" links. When I click on them, nothing happens.

Now, this is just one example. However, this happens in every single place in the IDE where there is the help displayed in the bottom part of the third pane.

At least on my machine.

I just thought of something else. Whenever I click the Help button in a dialog, no Help comes up. For example, go to the Components view, click on a component, then click the ellisis in the Destination Property. On my machine, when you click the Help button in the dialog nothing happens.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. Can you access the help by clicking the Contents, Index, or Seach commands on the Help menu?

What happens if you try to launch the InstallShield Help Library from the Start > Programs > Macrovision menu? Are you able to launch it from there? (During installation, a shortcut to the help is added to the Start menu.)

Are you able to see the help if you double-click the .chm files directly? They are installed to the InstallShield Program File Folder\Macrovision\IS2008\Program\0409 location.

Thanks.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Right. I can get Help up when I choose it from the Macrovision group in All Programs. I can also get Help up when I select it from the Help menu in the IS 2008 interface. Just can't click on a Help link in the IDE and get Help to come up.

If you're not having the problem, then something is wrong with my installation. However, nothing else is wrong. I've been using this release since it was first released back in May with no problems.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

I had a thought. I have both IS Pro 12 and IS Pro 2008 installed on the same machine. Perhaps this is causing some strange interaction.

I uninstall IS 2008 then reinstall it today and see what happens.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

What is the file date of IsmAuto.tlb? It is installed to the following location by default:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Shared

I think that the date should be April 18, 2007. If it has an earlier date, it might be the source for the problem. I attached the April 18 file, just in case.

If that's not the problem, you might want to try reregistering the InstallShield shared files. To do so, run the attached installfixer.exe tool.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Thanks Debbie. That solved my problem. The date on my IsmAuto.tlb file was April 5, so I used the new file, and that fixed it.

Just so you know, I have a maintenance contract, and I downloaded IS Pro 2008 the day I got the email that it was released. So I must have gotten an earlier version of the file with that download.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I'll look into that. Thanks for reporting it!

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

Hi Debbie,
After reading this post, I also tried to check the help links, and even I faced the same problem as gridman's, the links doesn't works at all. I am using Installshield 12-Proffesional Edition right now, not the 2008 version.
Is the problem is same with my edition too? Because I am able to access help through help-index, search, etc.
Do I need to have updated IsmAuto.tlb?
Mine IsmAuto.tlb is showing its creation date as 11/13/2005.
Please advice me on the same.
Thanks,
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

sankalp,

That may be the same problem. I'm attaching the IsmAuto.tlb file for InstallShield 12. The date on that file is May 16, 2006. Can you see if this version works?

Thanks,
Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

Hi debbie,
I cant see any attachments!!
I think there was some problem in uploading.....can you please upload them again.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Sorry about this. Try this.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

Hi Debbie,
The IsmAuto you sent is of Installshield 11.5, but mine is Installshield 12!!

Am I supposed to replace the .tlb??
Plz Reply..
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

It looks like the IsmAuto.tlb file that I posted on 9/24 has a date of May 16, 2006. That is the file for InstallShield 12. Is that not what you're seeing?

(The InstallShield 11.5 version of this file had a 2005 date, but I didn't post that one.)

Thanks,
Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

Hi Debbie,

Yes the date on IsmAuto.tlb is of 16-May-2006, but when I replaced the old .tlb with this one and opened the help..it showed the help for Installshield 11.5!
:confused:
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

What version of the help do you see when you (1) browse to the folder that should contain the InstallShield 12 .chm files and then (2) double-click the HelpLib.chm file? Here's the default location for that folder:
C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Program\0409

Do you see 11.5 help or 12 help?

Another thing to check: Look in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\InstallShield\12.0\Professional. You should see something like this:

• Install Location = C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12
  • ProgramFolder = C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\0409

Do you see IS12 in those paths, or IS11.5?

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

Surprisingly..My HelpLib.chm is showing Help for Installshield 11.5!!!!

But, I dont have the folders you are talking about..

You said:

"C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Program\0409"

But I dont have Macrovision Folder..Its:

"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\7.5\Program\0409" in my System

my HelpLib.chm is at:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\Help\0409", as well as at:
"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\7.5\Editor\Program\0409"

Registry entries are also different as what you have specified:

Install Location = C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\7.5\Editor\

ProgramFolder = C:\Program Files\InstallShield\AdminStudio\7.5\Editor\Program\0409
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Oh, I see. I thought that you've been using the stand-alone version of InstallShield, not the AdminStudio version.

AdminStudio 7.5 included InstallShield 11.5, not InstallShield 12. Therefore, you should be seeing InstallShield 11.5 help, not InstallShield 12 help.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
sankalp
Level 3

But when I opens the Installshield-Editor, it shows InstallShield Proffessional Edition Version 12!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I'm a bit confused. As a test, I installed AdminStudio 7.5 and launched the InstallShield Editor. When I did that, I got InstallShield 11.5. That is the typical behavior. Did you install AdminStudio 7.5 and then later install the stand-alone version of InstallShield 12? Maybe you choose to install it to the location where the InstallShield 11.5 Editor had been installed? The stand-alone verison of InstallShield 12 is not really compatible with AdminStudio 7.5, so that's why I'm asking. They don't typically co-exist on the same system.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos