cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alegerlotz
Level 7

Help Please: Frustrating Issue with setting permissions

I am encountering a frustrating issue with Setting Permissions on a target system. The permissions get set properly, as viewed through the windows Security UI, but they don't seem to be behaving properly. :mad:

I have a directory where I'm locking down permissions by granting only read access. Details about exactly which permissions are below.

I'm finding that on my target system, the permissions *appear* to be set correctly, but when logged on as user Administrator (which is a member of the group Administrators), I cannot see anything in the directory and get an access error.

If I then do Properties->Security on the directory, then for group Administrators toggle off then back on the read permission (or any for that matter) and hit apply, everything works properly. Its seems as if even though the permissions appear to be correct through the UI they aren't really and hitting Apply in the Security UI causes the permissions to get re-written correctly.

Is this a known issue? Has anyone encountered it? Other than calling CACLS through a custom action, how can this be done so it works properly the first time?

Oh, and I set "Full Control" for SYSTEM and its working fine.

---------------------------
Details about what I've set for permissions:

For ADMINISTRATORS and USERS, I'm granting the following privs through the InstallShield UI for Destination Permissions:
- Read & Execute
- List Folder Contents
- Read

If looked at in the advanced tab of the InstallShield UI for Destination Permissions on the directory, the individual ones that show up are:
- Traverse Folder / Execute File
- List Folder / Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Read Permissions

Here's an excerpt from the LockPermissions table:

My LockPermissions table looks like this:

LockObject .......... Table ........... Domain .. User .................... Permission
--------------...... ------------ ------- ----------------- ----------
DIRECTORY_A ...... CreateFolder ............... ADMINISTRATORS .. 131241
DIRECTORY_A ...... CreateFolder ............... USERS ................. 131241
DIRECTORY_A ...... CreateFolder ............... SYSTEM ............... 180031743
DIRECTORY_B ...... CreateFolder ............... ADMINISTRATORS .. 131241
DIRECTORY_B ...... CreateFolder ............... USERS ................. 131241
DIRECTORY_B ...... CreateFolder ............... SYSTEM ............... 180031743
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
alegerlotz
Level 7

More info:

If I open a cmd window and do CACLS I get the following output:

BUILTIN\Administrators: (OI)(CI)(special access: )
READ_CONTROL
FILE_READ_DATA
FILE_READ_EA
FILE_EXECUTE
FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
BUILTIN\Users: (OI)(CI)(special access: )
READ_CONTROL
FILE_READ_DATA
FILE_READ_EA
FILE_EXECUTE
FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM(OI)(CI)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM(OI)(CI)F

If I then toggle off , then back on the "Read & Execute" permission and click Apply, I can see what I need to see. If I issue the same CACLS command, the output is different...

BUILTIN\Administrators: (OI)(CI)R
BUILTIN\Administrators: R
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM: (OI)(CI)F
BUILTIN\Users: (OI)(CI)R

:confused:
Why isn't what WindowsInstaller wrote the same as what's here from the Security Tab??

Note, I have had to add a space here and there to keep the web site from interpreting things as smiley faces that are really text, so the output isn't *exact*
0 Kudos
alegerlotz
Level 7

The work around is to call CACLS through a custom action, but I'd still like to know why this doesn't work to begin with.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The only documented information about the Windows Installer LockPermissions support is available here, so I can't say why exactly you are seeing this issue. I have seen odd behavior in the past with LockPermissions that was only resolved by not using it. In such cases, we verified the security attributes that the IDE had set in the LockPermissions table were correct, but were not being set correctly at install time.

In general, due to the difficulties in using LockPermissions, we typically recommend using an alternative method (such as cacls) to set permissions at install time. Note that some of these issues have been touched on by the Windows Installer developers in MSDN chat sessions:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/transcripts/windows/windows_020403.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/transcripts/windows/windows_051303.aspx
0 Kudos
alegerlotz
Level 7

Thanks Josh. Its good to know that its not just me having the issues.

My CACLS work around is getting the job done, so I'll stick with it.
0 Kudos