cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_Kosenko
Level 7

Hang at the end of installation

I have inherited a bizarre installer that installs SQL databases and upgrades them. It is entirely nonstandard. For example, it was lobotomized to be "stateless" by the person who created it, so that it runs like an old fashioned installer that can be run 100 times without registering itself on the machine.

It installs SQL databases using an OSQL vbscript command line script (ugh). We are installing on SQL Express if users want a local copy of a database. This part of the installer seems to work. Unpacks the SQL and other script files and runs them to create a database.

The installer also runs a utility called "Upgrader" that uses ODBC DSNs to connect to the database and upgrade database features using SQL.

Given that the installer does absolutely no other work than to configure the command line and run the upgrader, I have configured the "Upgrader.exe" to run in OnFirstUIBefore(), to report any errors, then to quit. All that the installer does is launch the utility.

MSI logging shows absolutely no errors.

The problem is that the installer setup.exe keeps HANGING after completion of running the upgrader utility. I have no clue what is causing the installer to HANG. Whether the utility returns success or a failure number, the installer setup.exe simply keeps hanging around without quiting. I have tried both exit and abort (would rather not use abort).
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Peter_Kosenko
Level 7

I placed an "Exit" in the OnEnd() function, and a message box. The installer still hangs after OnEnd() and supposedly invoking Exit.

Any clue about anything about InstallShield setup.exe that might cause such behavior?

Peter Kosenko wrote:
I have inherited a bizarre installer that installs SQL databases and upgrades them. It is entirely nonstandard. For example, it was lobotomized to be "stateless" by the person who created it, so that it runs like an old fashioned installer that can be run 100 times without registering itself on the machine.

It installs SQL databases using an OSQL vbscript command line script (ugh). We are installing on SQL Express if users want a local copy of a database. This part of the installer seems to work. Unpacks the SQL and other script files and runs them to create a database.

The installer also runs a utility called "Upgrader" that uses ODBC DSNs to connect to the database and upgrade database features using SQL.

Given that the installer does absolutely no other work than to configure the command line and run the upgrader, I have configured the "Upgrader.exe" to run in OnFirstUIBefore(), to report any errors, then to quit. All that the installer does is launch the utility.

MSI logging shows absolutely no errors.

The problem is that the installer setup.exe keeps HANGING after completion of running the upgrader utility. I have no clue what is causing the installer to HANG. Whether the utility returns success or a failure number, the installer setup.exe simply keeps hanging around without quiting. I have tried both exit and abort (would rather not use abort).
0 Kudos
CMartin
Level 3

Hi,
I've the same problem.
After installing oracle over oui my setup.exe is hanging...
Can anybody help?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A hang could be attributed to a number of different causes. Given this is an InstallScript/InstallScript MSI project, is SdShowMsg being used in the script anywhere? If so, ensure that for every call to SdShowMsg with bShow (the second parameter) passed as TRUE, there is a corresponding SdShowMsg call with bShow passed as FALSE. Failing to close an SdShowMsg before the install completes will prevent the setup from exiting.

Loading a DLL from script (UseDLL) could also cause a hang if the DLL does not unload after calling UnUseDLL. Using CreateObject/GetObject to obtain a COM interface can also cause an issue if the interface does not release properly.
0 Kudos