cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrspreadsheet
Level 4

HOWTO: Modify HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\ subkey values?

Hi,

Inside my Basic MSI project I want to modify the program's ProductName registry key (using a custom action). I think I am running into some sort of permissions problem. How do I resolve this?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\
Installer\
Products\
759BDC0E7E402434CA2FBB578C2D1FE3\
ProductName

I want to change it's value from "Product Name X" to "Company - Product Name X". I want to *keep* the existing [PRODUCTNAME] property untouched in order to save time.

How do I do this? I tried deleting the existing key and creating a new one, neither works.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You really shouldn't do this. This is private MSI data and only some values can be set but only through official API calls not mucking with the registry data.

You might get something to work but I can't promise what known or unkown side effects might occue.
0 Kudos
mrspreadsheet
Level 4

I'm fine with unpredictable behavior because I tested the un-install procedure with the registry key changed (manually). So there appears to be no "side effects", and besides that my app doesn't use registry that much... Can you please give me basic instructions on how to do it, so that I don't get this permissions error? Your answer is much appreciated.
0 Kudos