cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

HELP! IS2012 SP1 is Broken!

UPDATE: Only broken for a few of us! Out of respect for Flexera... they resolved this quickly. The problem was that I participated in the IS2012 Beta program and saved my projects with it. A table was added to RTM, but there are no project migration steps from Beta to RTM. Evidently this did not matter when updating from Beta to RTM... but did matter when updating from RTM to SP1. Read on if this is your case.

I have several Basic MSI projects. They were working fine with IS2012. I upgraded to SP1 to take advantage of some of the Suite improvements. SP1 seems to work ok with Suites, but since I upgraded to SP1 I can no longer build my Basic MSI projects! Almost immediately after starting the build a red X appears under "Description" and "0" appears under "Error Code". Does anybody know what is going on? The log says:

================= Logging started at 11/11/2011 08:06:15 AM ==================
Created release folders
ISDEV : fatal error 0:
Background Tasks\Background Tasks - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
================= Logging stopped at 11/11/2011 08:06:15 AM ==================
Log file has been created:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

It is not reproducible on my end. Would it be possible for you to provide a sample project that replicates the behavior so that I can look into it further?

Regards.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Hidenori,
Thanks for the reply. I did submit a support incident for this but have not heard back since the initial reply and my subsequent supplying of the following information. In the log file below you can see "Windows Installer Error 2228". This never happened prior to SP1 for IS2012.

I am able to build a brand new MSI project without error. I do not have any InstallScript projects. I generated the log below using the following command line:
ISCmdBld.exe -p "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support.ism" -r "Othello Beta" -c COMP -v >"c:\ISlog.txt"

***** LOG FILE *****
InstallShield (R)
Release Builder
Copyright (C) 2011 Flexera Software, Inc.
and/or InstallShield Co. Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Build started at Nov 11 2011 10:18 AM
Building Release: Othello Beta

DoUpgradeAndBuildEx
DoUpgradeAndBuildExInternal
DoUpgrade
DoIsmUpgrade
GetNewFileName
spProject->Open Succeeded
InitEx
PC: '(null)' Rel: 'Othello Beta'
InitCommon
BuildMediaInternal
BuildMediaInternalMSI
PrepareFolders
SetFolderNames
Build folder: "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support"
Disk images folder: "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\DiskImages"
Disk 1 folder: "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\DiskImages\DISK1"
Intermediate folder: "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Interm"
Backup folder: "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta.Bak"
CheckOutputRequirements
Free space on "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support": 2147483647 or more bytes
CreateFolders
Creating path "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta"
Creating path "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\LogFiles"
Creating log file: "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\LogFiles\11-11-2011 10-18-17 AM.txt"
Creating path "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\DiskImages\DISK1"
Creating path "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\Reports"
Creating path "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\TestTools"
Created release folders
ISDEV : fatal error 0:
Windows Installer Error 2228: C:\Users\RGUGGI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\ism70A8.tmp, ISSwidtagProperty, SELECT * FROM `ISSwidtagProperty` WHERE `Name`='UniqueId'
MsiOpenDatabaseView()
Creating path "C:\Software Installation\Projects\Frontier\Support\Support\Support\Othello Beta\LogFiles"
Support\Othello Beta - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Log file has been created:

Build finished at Nov 11 2011 10:18 AM
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Did you have any chance to open your project in InstallShield 2012 Beta? The problem is that the ISSwidtagProperty table is missing in your project. The table was added to RTM, but there are no project migration steps from Beta to RTM. Please follow the steps below to fix this issue:

[LIST=1]
  • Open your project in InstallShield 2012 SP1.
  • Go to the Direct Editor under the Additional Tools section.
  • Select the InstallShield table.
  • Change the SchemaVersion property from 772 to 771.
  • Save, close, and reopen the project.
  • InstallShield will prompt asking if you want to upgrade the project.
  • Click Yes to upgrade the project.

Hope that helps.
  • 0 Kudos
    rguggisberg
    Level 13

Hidenori,
    Nice catch! Yes, I did participate in the beta program and built these projects with that... had to verify that it worked. Guess I should have used a temporary copy 🙂

Now I get the following warnings:
    ISDEV : warning -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Unique ID setting in the General Information view is empty.
    ISDEV : warning -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty.

What should I do about those? What belongs in those fields?

I also notice that
    CurrentMedia Othello BetaSupport
    Should I change that? To What?

FYI,
    That little pop up window that you get asking if you want to upgrade the project should be forced to the top. It is easy to get it hidden behind the main window and then you have to Alt Tab to find it.
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

rguggisberg wrote:

Now I get the following warnings:
    ISDEV : warning -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Unique ID setting in the General Information view is empty.
    ISDEV : warning -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty.

What should I do about those? What belongs in those fields?

If you want to turn off the Software Identification Tag support, go to the General Information view and set the Use Software Identification Tag setting to No.

rguggisberg wrote:

I also notice that
    CurrentMedia Othello BetaSupport
    Should I change that? To What?

You don't have to worry about this. InstallShield uses this field to store the last release name that you built.
    0 Kudos
    rguggisberg
    Level 13

Thanks Hidenori.... all fixed! 🙂
    0 Kudos
    firmusoft
    Level 5

rguggisberg wrote:
    Thanks Hidenori.... all fixed! 🙂

Hi Hidenori and Rguggisberg

Our installs are developed using IS 2012 SP1 and we have the "Use software identification tag" property set to NO. When the project is built using the installshield developer tool (isdev.exe), no warnings are raised.

However when we build from the command line (IsCmdBld.exe) in the prod build machine where IS 2012 Stand alone version is installed, the following three warnings are raised.

ISDEV : warning -7255: Only .pfx files can be used to digitally sign a software identification tag file.

Opened the ism file in text editor and verified that the EnableSwidTag property is not there as well.

Any idea how to get rid of these warnings with the stand alone version.
    0 Kudos
    hidenori
    Level 17

Open the project file in InstallShield 2012 SP1 and make sure that the Use Software Identification Tag setting is set to "No" in the General Information view. The EnableSwidTag property should exist and the value should be set to 0.

Hope that helps.
    0 Kudos
    firmusoft
    Level 5

hidenori wrote:
    Open the project file in InstallShield 2012 SP1 and make sure that the Use Software Identification Tag setting is set to "No" in the General Information view. The EnableSwidTag property should exist and the value should be set to 0.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response, figured out the issue. Our installs were originally developed in IS 2008 and then upgraded using IS 2012. So when you do the upgrade, the EnableSwidTag is not inserted, even though the General information view shows the property value as NO. When built from the command line, somehow the non-existence of this property is treated as a DEFAULT YES and warning is raised. What we did is to set the property to YES once, save the project and then reset to NO and then resave. At that time the EnableSwidTag is created with the value of 0 and the error is no longer raised..
    0 Kudos