cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vhavin
Level 3

Global UI Property not working.

I am trying to use a global property set in a custom dialog. The dialog has a check box with the property "INSTALLVSI2010". When this check box is checked, the property is set to "YES". I have validated that when the check box is checked, the property is present and set to "YES". When the check box is not checked, the property is not defined. Now I am trying to use this property in a component condition: "Level:1 INSTALLVSI2010="YES". When I run the installer, the component with this condition doesn't get installed whether the check box was checked or not. If I replace the check box property with a predefined property, say Mycondition=1 and update the component install condition accordingly - everything works as expected. However, I would like to set this condition in a check box. It looks like if the property is set in the property manager, then the check box is always checked, no matter what is the value. If the property is not defined and set in the dialog, then it is being ignored by the installer. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to create component level condition from a check box?

Thank you for your time,

Victor.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

Features have an Install Level, but Components don't. How are you specifying the Level:1?

I use Conditions for Components and I usually just use something like INSTALLVSI2010 and leave out the ="YES". Then if it exists my Condition is satisfied and if it doesn't exist then not.

Chad
0 Kudos
vhavin
Level 3

Hi Chad,

Thank you for the prompt response.
I tried to use this condition in the feature condition first. When this did not work, I tried component condition with the same result. When I use it in the feature condition, I specify Install Level: 1. To do that I add condition to the feature and set level:1 and condition INSTALLVS2010="YES". The package install level is 100. I tried both INSTALLVS2010="YES" and just "INSTALLVS2010" with the same result.It always evaluates to FALSE. As I pointed out before, if I assign a value to the condition in the Property Manager, then everything works as expected, but when I set the same property in a custom dialog, then it doesn't work. I have a feeling that the condition gets evaluated before the UI action with this dialog gets executed, but I don't know how to validate this assumption. The dialog is created after the standard "Customer Information" dialog in response to the "Next" button event. Is it to late to set a feature condition at this point?

My goal is pretty simple: Install a feature based on a check box selection in a custom dialog. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Is there a right way to do it?

Victor
0 Kudos
vhavin
Level 3

I think I have figured this out. Conditional levels are used when properties are defined in the property manager or set in the command line. For using dialog events to add/remove features one should use AddLocal/Remove.
I just tried it and it works as expected. The case is closed. 🙂
0 Kudos