cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Getting the Process ID of the currently running Install

Now I do not know if this is the best way to handle this and if you know of a better way then by all means let me know.

Our app requires a few 3rd party apps to be installed onto the system and therefore we are adding them to our install project. Now the problem comes in that these 3rd party apps are full installs built into self-extracting installation files. Since we can only have 1 msi running at a time we have to launch these at the end of the install, but we need to know when the install is done before triggering the next installer project.

So we are creating a simple wrapper .exe file that can be called at the end of our install and it will wait for the main install to be done before launching the next installer. The problem is that I an suppose to pass in the Process ID so tha the app knows when the install is done. The only issue is that I do not know what the process ID is and if I have access to that property to pass to this app.

So is there a property that contains the process ID that I can pass to this app and if so what is it?
If this is not a good way to do it then is there a better way to do this and what would that be?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Not applicable

You can query the _MSIExecute mutex per this MSDN article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372909(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos