cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vbgladiator
Level 3

Getting file information

Hi,

I have an old setup that was done with WiseInstall.
The way it works is:

1. I have a setup package that installs all the application files into a shared folder. This folder contains all the app files as well as any other shared files used by the application. This file is deployed every time there's an update and the application files are overwritten to the latest ones.

2. I have another setup package that exists in the shared folder (installed by the 1st setup) that does the following:
-Checks the files on the shared folder and compares them locally to see if they are the same version/date time. If not, it copies All the files from the shared folder locally to each workstation. At the end, it launches the application locally. This file exists to ease deploying upgrades as the workstations update themselves just by running the app.

I can create the first setup package easily using installshield using the msi setup type.

I am having some troubles, however, duplicating the executable setup.
I know I have to use the installscript project and I will remove almost all of the dialogs as they are not needed. I need to know whether I can accomplish the following:
-Obtain a list of files from a specific location (shared folder)
-Compare file version/datetime between 2 files (shared folder and the targetdir)

Or maybe there's a better way that I am unaware of as I have just started using InstallShield.

Thank You in advance,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
J_anitha
Level 8

You can get list of files in a folder using FindAllFiles() with CONTINUE option. Give *.* as filename.
Files from two folders can be compared using FileCompare(), based on date and version.
0 Kudos